Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

Tigrina (Leopardus guttulus)

March 2000

Tigrina (Leopardus guttulus)
    • Arizona Docent
      Scan of a slide taken in March 2000. At the time this species was grouped with the oncilla (Leopardus tigrinus), which is seen in several zoos in Europe. A recent taxonomic split has declared this southern form (L. guttulus) a separate species from the northern form (L. tigrinus). At the time this was the only specimen of either form on exhibit in the United States, and of course now there are none. At the same time there were a couple specimens at a private breeder in San Diego County called SOS Care, but those are now gone as well. SOS was off limits to all visitors (believe me I tried), but for a few years Santa Ana Zoo gave Americans the chance to glimpse a beautiful creature.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Both species are present in small numbers in Europe currently.

~Thylo
    • Arizona Docent
      I know there are L tigrinus in Europe, but I did not know there are also L guttulus.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Arizona Docent If I'm remembering the details correctly, Parc de Felins and Dortmund imported animals from Brazil to be new blood for the tigrinus population, and then they turned out to be guttulus when the two were split. @TeaLovingDave might be able to explain better than I.

~Thylo
    • TeaLovingDave
      Yep, Thylo pretty much covered it accurately - although the Dortmund and Parc des Felins imports of L. guttulus were coincidental and took place at different times from one another.

Dortmund held tigrinus from 1994 until 2014, and has held guttulus from 2012 until the present, and has bred both species several times. However, they presumably obtained tigrinus again at some point recently as I saw one there in April - just the single surplus individual though, I think.

Parc des Felins has held guttulus from 2008 until the present, and first bred the species a month ago.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Santa Ana Zoo at Prentice Park
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    8 May 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    522.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    700px
    Height:
    568px
    Make:
    Nikon
    Model:
    Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).