Titan Triggerfish and Yellowtail Coris

Avatele Beach 11 August 2011

Titan Triggerfish and Yellowtail Coris
Hix, 14 Aug 2011
    • Hix
      Avatele Beach
      11 August 2011
    • Hix
      The largest of the triggerfish, this species is known to attack divers and swimmers, and has a nasty bite.
      This individual was using it's strong jaws to pull up rocks and then grab and crabs or other large invertebrates hiding under it. The other fish in this photo - Yellowtail Coris, Clown Coris, Checkerboard Wrasse, Five-stripe Wrasse and Wedgetail Triggerfish - would also swoop in to feed on the smaller inverts before swimming off after the Titan to see what else he would rip up.
    • Chlidonias
      that looks like an enormous triggerfish! How big would you estimate it at?
    • Hix
      Nose to tail, I'd guess two-and-a-half to three feet. Bit hard to tell when you're in the water and trying to frame a photo! Certainly a big bugger, and I was keeping a respectful distance as I'd been told he'd threatened some swimmers in the previous weeks. And hearing him crunch coral did little to entice me closer!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Niue - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    14 Aug 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    180.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    768px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).