top part of the shark exhibit which was intended for a walrus

top part of the shark exhibit which was intended for a walrus
jusko88, 11 Jun 2012
    • TropicWorld54
      Were walruses ever at this zoo?
    • jusko88
      No they never ended up getting them.
    • TropicWorld54
      Walruses have become very rare in U.S. zoos now (I think only 8 zoos/aquariums have them). I miss them very badly at Brookfield Zoo.
    • DavidBrown
      What do they do to keep the sharks from freezing in the winter?

Do you ever see shark fins popping out of the water like in "Jaws"?
    • jusko88
      I believe all the tanks in Water's Edge (Polar Bears,Sea Otters and sand tiger sharks/blue runner fish also new additions to that exhibit cownose rays) are heated.

Ya saw there fins above the water a couple times :)
    • Ituri
      This has always perplexed me. Why sharks? Why not sea lions? Harbor seals?
    • Chlidonias
      the polar bear and sea otter tanks are heated?
    • jusko88
      Im sorry there not there kept at 55 degrees but i do believe the sand tiger shark tank is heated cause with blue runners and cownose rays i think these fish like warm water.
    • Chlidonias
      I thought that must have been a typo. It does seem very poor energy-efficiency to be heating outdoors open-topped pools for sharks though! Like Ituri I do wonder why they didn't choose some more appropriate inhabitants for the walrus pool. And if they did "need" sharks for some reason, why not temperate species that didn't need heating? It just seems like poor planning all round really.
    • Ituri
      Yup, nothing says coastal North Pacific atmosphere like BIG OLE' TROPICAL SHARKS and ATLANTIC/CARIBBEAN STINGRAYS...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    jusko88
    Date:
    11 Jun 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    198.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.8
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    E7600
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    10/1800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).