Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Tragic Taxidermy 1

Please, sir, can I have some more? Giant Otter ([i]Pteronura brasiliensis[/i]) May 2014

Tragic Taxidermy 1
Chlidonias, 31 May 2014
Pigeon, PAT, felis silvestris and 5 others like this.
    • Chlidonias
      Please, sir, can I have some more?

Giant Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis)

May 2014
    • DavidBrown
      I think this was in that "World's Worst Taxidermy" thing that I posted awhile ago.
    • snowleopard
      I am currently about halfway through the book "Kingdom Under Glass" (2010), which is a biography of the famous taxidermist Carl Akeley. The man who helped stuff Jumbo and also create the legendary African Hall at the American Museum of Natural History would be horrified to see a photo such as the one above.

Here's the link to the entertaining and informative book:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Under-Glass-Obsession-Adventure/dp/080509282X/ref=la_B001KIQFDM_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401512950&sr=1-1]Kingdom Under Glass: A Tale of Obsession, Adventure, and One Man's Quest to Preserve the World's Great Animals: Jay Kirk: 9780805092820: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
    • TeaLovingDave
      It was, although by the looks of it several of the other specimens in this museum actually are worse!
    • sooty mangabey
      My least favourite comment to hear from zoo visitors is their complaining that animals look 'sad'; however, in this case, those complaints would be valid. Giant otters normally appear to have a real joie de vivre; this poor fellow looks like he's just been told that his parents have both run away to join the circus.
    • IanRRobinson
      I looked at this photo and for a split second imagined that I was looking at a tortoise. Enough said...:eek:
    • Pertinax
      Tortoise, or E.T.?;)
    • Hammy
      I've found this five plus years after its posting and it's brought me untold joy. Thank you, sir.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Melbourne Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    31 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: