Join our zoo community
zoogiraffe

View of Otter enclosure

View of Otter enclosure
zoogiraffe, 27 Aug 2012
    • DavidBrown
      @zoogiraffe and anybody else interested: out of curiosity have there ever been sea otters in any UK zoos or aquariums? I'm kind of surprised that this species seems to be absent from UK and European collections as there seems to be a stream of non-releasable animals in American institutions, as well as captive births so I would think that the species would be available if there were desire to show them.

In North America this species seems to be as popular as koalas, but maybe that appeal isn't shared internationally (which surprises me if true).
    • zoogiraffe
      The only place I have ever seen Sea Otters is Rotterdam,I certainly don't remember any being kept in the UK,since I started zoo visting way back sometime in the 1980's.
    • filipinos
      Lisbon Oceanarium has the only Sea Otters in Europe (and probably the only ones outside North America), and they were there since '98. They have bred and the ones on Rotterdam were on loan from Lisbon. No longer there.
      Also, Sea Otters are a crowd pleaser, Zoochat members came here just to see them. It´s the most popular exhibit, and it´s always full of people.
      Europe (UK included) doesn´t have more Sea Otters because the US wants to do the same as Australia is doing with platypus ;)

The enclousure seems good, maybe needs more water. What´s the species?

• DavidBrown
      Thanks for the information filipinos.
    • filipinos
      Glad i could help! :D
    • devilfish
      There is actually a large number of captive sea otters in Japan. About 15 years ago there were over three times as many captive sea otters in Japan than in the USA; I'm not sure how numbers stand now though.
    • zoogiraffe
      European Otter.
    • Nisha
      Attempts have been made by more than one European collection to use this loophole in the past as a way of importing new stock, unfortunatly without success (as yet)
    • Pertinax
      Sea Otter. I think in Europe this species just isn't so well known as e.g. Koalas, so few people are familiar with them. If they were exhibited in more Zoos or appeared in some other form. e.g. as a T.V. advertisement humanising them like Meerkats, it could suddenly radically change public perception though.

I have only ever seen this species (in a Zoo) in Rotterdam. Seen them wild in Russia also.
    • Pertinax
      Looking at this open-looking enclosure, I would almost like to guarantee these Otters will hardly ever be seen by visitors in the daytime, unless they are handraised. They are notoriously poor 'showers' in zoos, the best exception I know is the New Forest Wildlife Park which keep a number(they raise cubs orphaned in the wild and then release them, others are breeding adults) Its the only place I've ever seen them in captivity out and about, active and confident.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Living Coasts (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    zoogiraffe
    Date:
    27 Aug 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    239.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix E510
    Date / Time:
    2012:08:25 10:53:11
    Exposure Time:
    10/1700 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).