Hix

Wedgetail Eagle Aviary

March 2010

Wedgetail Eagle Aviary
Hix, 9 Mar 2010
    • Hix
      March 2010
    • CGSwans
      Hix, I assume/hope that the eagle gets regular flights outside the cage?
    • torie
      its a way bigger cage than most show birds get!
    • CGSwans
      Are you referring to "show birds" such as prize-winning budgies? In which case, it's a moot point because I would never ever keep any bird in a breeding cabinet style cage that you see at such shows.

If you're referring to your standard zoo avariy - it might be much bigger than most aviaries, but it's much bigger than most birds, too.
    • torie
      sorry should have been clearer. show birds as in birds of prey used in shows. many live during non show periods in sterile dens that are only just the required size. so this bird has it good!
    • CGSwans
      I agree. Assuming that it is used in shows, that is.
    • Hix
      The angle doesn't really show the true size of this aviary. There are two eagles in the shot, the second is towards the rear.

The birds have enough room to fly around, admittedly only a few wingbeats will take them the legth of the aviary. However, for a privately-owned and operated wildlife park, I'm not going to complain about it.

Just as a comparison - Taronga's Condor aviary is only about double the size. That's a pair of larger birds in one of our busiest zoos, with a much larger budget.
    • ZYBen
      This is a side shot, its about twice as long along the front
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bredl's Wonder World Of Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    9 Mar 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    226.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    768px
    Height:
    1024px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).