Join our zoo community
geomorph

West African River Experience

This large facility is in Camden, New Jersey right across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. It features mostly indoor underwater aquarium exhibits from around the world, but also has an outdoor garden with penguins and seals. It also has a large indoor exhibit for hippos, African birds, and African Crested Porcupine.

West African River Experience
geomorph, 6 Jul 2009
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • geomorph
      This large facility is in Camden, New Jersey right across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. It features mostly indoor underwater aquarium exhibits from around the world, but also has an outdoor garden with penguins and seals. It also has a large indoor exhibit for hippos, African birds, and African Crested Porcupine.
    • Maguari
      My, that's weird. Not too many all-indoor hippo exhibits around...
    • geomorph
      Yes, it is rather weird. I'm not sure its a great exhibit for the hippos, but they were certainly active.
    • Owlmonkey
      And if I remember correctly the exhibit is on the second floor. There was an elevator to get any new hippos to the exhibit.
    • Jurek7
      This must be the world's only elevator for hippos. :eek:
    • fkalltheway
      I seriously doubt a hippo would fit in the freight elevator. I don't think that there's enough space for any more than two hippos in the exhibit. Jenny & Button, both female, are also fairly young for hippos (around 6 and 8 years of age) so this would not be something they'd have to worry about.
    • jacks zoo
      this exhibit would be more sensible for pygmy hippo maybe?
    • Ituri
      Why? What's different about a pygmy hippo that would make this better? As far as size goes, we've established that it is much the same size as other zoo exhibits for hippos, the issue that people seem to be taking with it is that it is entirely indoors? Why is that better for pygmy hippos than river hippos?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Adventure Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    6 Jul 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: