Join our zoo community
cypher

White-Headed Vulture

Spotted this guy resting in the grass of the Greater Kudu exhibit. Say him from the Antelope Trail, enjoying the quiet.

White-Headed Vulture
cypher, 12 Jul 2014
    • cypher
      Spotted this guy resting in the grass of the Greater Kudu exhibit. Say him from the Antelope Trail, enjoying the quiet.
    • TZFan
      I tried to get a good photo of Lloyd but he was unfortunately just too far for my camera.

I wish there were other vultures. I feel bad for him being alone.
    • arcticwolf
      Nice photo! I can never get a good picture of him because he is always too far away.

I heard that white headed vultures are rare in zoos so it might be difficult to get more to keep him company. Also I'm not a fan of vultures having their flight taken away just so they can live in an exhibit with hoofstock.
    • TZFan
      He would probably get along with other species that are more common. And so long as they are just clipping his flight feathers to keep him grounded I can live with it since there is no flight pen for a large bird in the savanna. I would agree it would be more interesting to see a flock of vultures in a flight pen where you could appreciate a wider ranger of natural behaviours.
    • cypher
      I'd rather see a flock devouring a large animal carcass. I know morbid, but still seems cool to see.
    • TZFan
      That would be cool too. But I think that would mean the exhibit is a little more private, say behind some bushes with some good signage warning people what they are about to see so people who dont want to see that and kids can be steered away during feeding time. I know as a kid it would have scarred me.
    • cypher
      Either way, It would be pretty cool to see.
    • zooboy28
      You would have been scarred by natural scavenging behaviour? You wouldn't have learnt and grown from the experience? I think if they put a sign up to let visitors know a carcass feeding is occurring then that is more than enough; zoos should showcase this behaviour in all scavenging creatures where possible. I hope Lloyd (awful name :D) is at least given some partial carcasses to feed on.
    • TZFan
      Honestly it would have been pretty upsetting to me as a kid. I couldn't watch nature documentaries where an animal was killed without burying my head in a pillow at those moments. Overly sensitive? Yes. I have since grown out of it. It also would bother me when animals were hurt and the film crew wouldn't help them. Again I now understand it and be ok with nature taking its course.

Zoos should showcase it but leave the option of viewing it to its guests.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    12 Jul 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    211 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    549px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2014:07:10 11:05:05
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    200 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).