Join our zoo community
cypher

White Lion girls

I'm posting this picture because of the neat story behind it. Lemon & Makali were pacing along the hot-wire at the end of the secondary yard of the lion exhibit. This is the yard that's closest to the Sable Antelope and newly added Common Elands exhibit. Fintan sat in the back end of this yard with 2 of the cubs. Seeing the girls pacing back and forth is an unusual occurrence with them, as they're usually sleeping, especially in this heat. The pacing was because they were seeing the Eland, which is fairly new for them. They almost looked like they were in hunt mode. At one point, an Eland moved in their direct line of sight and the girls stopped pacing, only to stare at the Eland. Even Fintan perked up to watch the Eland in the distance. Overall, it was pretty interesting behaviour to witness.

White Lion girls
cypher, 30 Jun 2016
    • cypher
      I\'m posting this picture because of the neat story behind it.

Lemon & Makali were pacing along the hot-wire at the end of the secondary yard of the lion exhibit. This is the yard that\'s closest to the Sable Antelope and newly added Common Elands exhibit. Fintan sat in the back end of this yard with 2 of the cubs.

Seeing the girls pacing back and forth is an unusual occurrence with them, as they\'re usually sleeping, especially in this heat. The pacing was because they were seeing the Eland, which is fairly new for them. They almost looked like they were in hunt mode.

At one point, an Eland moved in their direct line of sight and the girls stopped pacing, only to stare at the Eland. Even Fintan perked up to watch the Eland in the distance. Overall, it was pretty interesting behaviour to witness.
    • TZFan
      It's probably very enriching for the lions to see new animals. It would be cool if the zoo rotated a little who goes where. I don't see why the sables and zebras couldn't rotate exhibits as they share the same barn. And why couldn't the wildebeests and ostriches do the same. It would be enriching not just for the lions but the other animals. I would have said the same about the rhinos and kudu but neither exhibit seems well designed for the other species. Maybe they don't based on barn set up and the ability to transfer back and forth.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    30 Jun 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    150 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D500
    Date / Time:
    2016:06:30 11:06:37
    Exposure Time:
    1/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 250
    Focal Length:
    290 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).