Join our zoo community
Deer Forest2

White rhinoceros

White rhinoceros
Deer Forest2, 14 May 2014
    • Deer Forest2
      In 1974 Prime Minister Edward Heath received a goodwill gift from the Chinese government, a couple of giant pandas: Chia Chia and Ching Ching. In return, the UK gave a pair of white rhinoceroses to China: 蒙勾 and 米卡斯. The female Micas passed away in 2012.

I used to think the current male is 蒙勾, but @Kifaru Bwana has said that according to the international studbook rhino, it's not.
    • Deer Forest2
      I don't know how to spell the English name of the two rhinoceroses. Who can help me to confirm the informantion of them? Thanks in advance.
    • IanRRobinson
      I think that I'd be right in sating that this animal "Mungo" was the very first White Rhino born at Whipsnade, (and thus the first in the UK?) in 1971. Has he ever bred?
    • Tim May
      The white rhinos sent to Beijing in 1974 were ‘Mungo’ (male) and ‘Nykasi’ (female).

The male was born at Whipsnade in 1973; the female went from Blackpool to Whipsnade then onto Beijing.

There was a white rhino born at Whipsnade in 1971 but that wasn't 'Mungo'; the mother of the animal born in 1971 was pregnant on arrival at Whipsnade.
    • Deer Forest2
      [​IMG]
      Mungo and Nykasi at Beijing Zoo in 1970s.
    • Deer Forest2
      Sorry that they have never bred. The breeding of White White Rhino is very difficult in China, more difficult than Black Rhinos.
    • kiang
      I love these little nuggets of information, so were the pandas a gift or an exchange?
      At the time, surely the southern white rhino was as rare or even rarer than the giant panda.
    • IanRRobinson
      Essentially they were a "thank you" gift from ZSL. I think that the Chinese may even have asked for White Rhino; I suspect that in 1974 they would have been reluctant to trade with South Africa for political reasons, and so the opportunity of a pair from the UK was eagerly embraced.

I can remember a piece about "Mungo" and "Nykasi"'s voyage to China in the XYZ magazine in 1974/75. Its arrival, once every four months, was one of the highlights of my year. Was that really forty years ago?
    • Tim May
      A little more information about these white rhinos:-

The ZSL Annual Report for 1974 describes the white rhinos “as part of the return gift for the giant pandas”.

According to this Annual Report, the male white rhino was one of the young males born in 1973, while the female was brought to Whipsnade, from Blackpool, on 5th November and the pair sent to Peking on 7th December.

Rookmaaker’s book “The Rhinoceros in Captivity” (1998) confirms that the male was born at Whipsnade on 21st January 1973 and the female born at Blackpool on 29th June 1973.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      I hate to spoil things for all of you!

According to the international studbook rhino Mungo was transferred on 18/9/1999 to Jinan Safari Park. The studbook reports its death as 24/12/2001 ...

Supposedly, the current male rhino in Beijing Zoo was a male (named Kotarou and born in 1985 in Japan) that was captive-born in the Kyushu safari park in Japan and arrived in April 1997.

Perhaps, our esteemed local zoo afficionados can check whether the above is true or not …? :confused:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Beijing Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Deer Forest2
    Date:
    14 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    299.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.9
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S6500fd
    Date / Time:
    2014:05:14 11:32:02
    Exposure Time:
    10/1700 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    29 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).