Join our zoo community
dbyrd

White Tiger

Solitude white tiger. This exhibit at the Cincy Zoo could use some work. The enclosure is fine,but the Tiger is bored without alot of stimulation in his habitat.

Tags:
White Tiger
dbyrd, 23 Sep 2008
    • dbyrd
      Solitude white tiger. This exhibit at the Cincy Zoo could use some work. The enclosure is fine,but the Tiger is bored without alot of stimulation in his habitat.
    • Arizona Docent
      That is a great photo
    • elefante
      Beautiful show. Does the Cincinatti Zoo breed white tigers? They were one of the first zoos to have them weren't they?
    • Moebelle
      @elefante They do not. Their remaining white tiger pair has been considered past their breeding prime for quite some time. I don't know about one of the first but I know they are near the top of the list for breeding them.
    • elefante
      @Moebelle I meant one of the first zoos in the USA. I'm sure zoos in India did it first.
    • Zoofan15
      @elefante The first white tiger held in a USA Zoo was a female named Mohini. She arrived at the National Zoo in 1960 and gave birth to the first white tiger cub born in the USA on January 6, 1964. He was named Rajkumar and died at the age of 10 months. Mohini went on to have two more litters (which included white tiger cubs) in 1966 and 1969 - but none of the white tiger cubs survived to reproduce.

Two of Mohini’s orange offspring - Ramana (born 1964) and Kesari (born 1966) were sent to Cincinnati Zoo, where they produced Cincinnati’s first litter of white tiger cubs on June 20, 1974. The litter contained three white cubs and one orange cub. These four cubs were the last (studbook) registered (purebred) Bengal tigers born in the Western Hemisphere.

This page has more information: WHITE TIGERS - MOHINI, MOTHER OF AMERICAN WHITE TIGERS, AND HER DESCENDANTS
      junglejim, Tafin and Jambo like this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
    Uploaded By:
    dbyrd
    Date:
    23 Sep 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    250.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    826px
    Height:
    700px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).