Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Why You Never Use Electric Signage 101

Why You Never Use Electric Signage 101
ThylacineAlive, 12 Apr 2019
sooty mangabey likes this.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Scaly Slimy Spectacular: Electronic signage error. March 13, 2019. Around 90% of the signs in the reptile house were like this, which I found insanely frustrating. I told an employee who told me they were working on it and all issues would be resolved in roughly 15-20 minutes. While a couple of signs were fixed within an hour or so, they weren't all operational again for about 3-4 hours after I was told this. In the meantime I was told to use to zoo's website to identify the species on-display.
    • Chlidonias
      Could you actually use their website to identify all the herptiles in their collection? (As in, I haven't looked at it so just wondering how complete or otherwise it is).
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Chlidonias It's more complete than most zoos and was very helpful to an extent. They have a map of the building and you can click on each enclosure to see its occupants. I'd say it's roughly 80-85% accurate for how the house was during my visit. Some enclosure had swapped species or were empty entirely (from my understanding, some have been empty for well over a year despite what the website claims), and there were a handful not listed. The biggest issue was that some of the pages didn't work when accessing from a phone. Pretty good and helpful tbh but proper signs would eliminate the problem in the first place

~Thylo
      Chlidonias likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      "The biggest issue was that some of the pages didn't work when accessing from a phone"

My biggest problem would have been not having one of those. I understand that some people do have a portable pocket-sized internet device, but if one of the staff there had said "just look the animals up on the website" I would have said "do I look like I'm carrying a computer with me?" then they would have said "um, what?"

I would have to have then added "I'm from New Zealand" and then they would have patted me on the head and said "your English is very good".
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Atlanta
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    12 Apr 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T5
    Date / Time:
    2018:03:13 09:25:27
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    75 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).