July 25th, 2010.

Wild Africa - Ungulates Poster
snowleopard, 4 Sep 2010
    • snowleopard
      July 25th, 2010.
    • Paix
      So many species, all so beautiful! :rolleyes:
    • Hix
      Now that would be a poster I would love to have on a wall in my home!
    • KCZooFan
      Why are there elephants and aardvarks on there?
    • Hix
      Because they are ungulates (hoofed mammals) too, along with the hyraxes (bottom right on the poster). Sometimes refered to as Paenungulata.
    • snowleopard
      I see from Sun Wukong's link that the poster is copyright 2001, so does that mean it is at all outdated? Have there been any changes to ungulate classifications since that time? Also, the "Carnivores of Africa" poster looks pretty neat!
    • cockroach
      I remember I saw this poster first time in Natural History Museum in Addis Ababa. I felt a little jealous :D All these pictures (so from the carnivore and primate poster) are taken from an absolutely fantastic book: The Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals
      NHBS - The Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals - Jonathan Kingdon

To His: KCZooFan`s question is on a good place, especially if (s)he is younger. Actual mammalian systematics doesnt recognice Paenungulata. Elephants, hyraxes and aardvarks are members of originally African group - Afrotheria. But at least elephants and hyraxes are grazers and browsers :)
    • cockroach
      No it isnt. Some subspecies became "new" species, but this is not really important (at least for me). Who cares if Northern White and Southern White Rhinoceros are species or subspecies if you know there are two forms of White Rhinoceros. And this poster isnt about higher systematic which is changes are more important.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Binder Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    4 Sep 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: