Join our zoo community
jayjds2

Wings of the Tropics- Desert Aviary

Species: Montezuma quail, Costa's hummingbird. May 6, 2017

Wings of the Tropics- Desert Aviary
jayjds2, 9 May 2017
Coelacanth18 and cuckooduck like this.
    • Arizona Docent
      Does a desert aviary belong in an area called Wings of the Tropics?
    • jayjds2
      Actually, it technically does. I just had a look at what constitutes the Tropical Zone (or tropics), and it is most generally regarded as the zone between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. Just a sliver of the range of these birds is found in that area. The only bird in the exhibit that wouldn't belong, by that definition, is Gambel's quail.
    • Arizona Docent
      Good answer - I stand corrected.
      jayjds2 likes this.
    • nczoofan
      Visited last month and their were no longer any costa's hummingbird on display. Instead this enclosure now has a large group of Ruff (Calidris pugnax) in addition to the quail. The zoo has 2 hummingbirds in the walkthrough area of this exhibit, a rescued ruby-throated hummingbird and a broad-billed hummingbird.
      jayjds2 likes this.
    • jayjds2
      @nczoofan thanks for the update. Are there still ruff on exhibit elsewhere in the park (with the Senegal thick-knee, as I recall) or were they all moved here?
    • nczoofan
      @jayjds2 They were only found in this exhibit, which was re-landscaped.
      jayjds2 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Sylvan Heights Bird Park
    Uploaded By:
    jayjds2
    Date:
    9 May 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    515.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).