Join our zoo community
Maguari

Woodpecker ID?

A picture taken at Birdworld, Farnham, in 1998. Never quite been able to settle on an ID for it. The name I noted down at the time was 'Streak-billed Woodpecker', which I can't imagine I made up but doesn't seem to refer to any particular species.

Woodpecker ID?
Maguari, 12 Dec 2010
    • Maguari
      A picture taken at Birdworld, Farnham, in 1998. Never quite been able to settle on an ID for it. The name I noted down at the time was \'Streak-billed Woodpecker\', which I can\'t imagine I made up but doesn\'t seem to refer to any particular species.
    • Maguari
      A second photo, showing some different bits of the plumage:
    • Chlidonias
      I would suggest Dendrocopos macei, of which one of the common names is streak-bellied woodpecker
    • bongorob
      I spent 10 minutes trying to i.d. it only for Chlidonias to beat me to the post. I agree with his identification.

D. macei is known as fulvous-breasted/spotted breasted pied/streak-bellied woodpecker.
    • Maguari
      Streak-bellied. 12 years of confusion suddenly make perfect sense. Thanks guys!

(not sure if the bellied to billed conversion is my fault or Birdworld's, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt!)
    • bongorob
      I once spotted a mistake on a label at Birdworld. The head keeper answered my letter and said the sign had been replaced, and that she was pleased that at least one visitor took the time to read the labels.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Birdworld
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    12 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    221.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1171px
    Height:
    780px
    Make:
    HP
    Model:
    HP Scanjet djf2100
    Date / Time:
    2010:12:12 19:05:32

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).