Join our zoo community
Paradoxurus

Zeedonks in 2003

Zeedonks in 2003
Paradoxurus, 26 Jun 2013
    • Pertinax
      Two of the originally three Zeedonks (all females) born at Colchester. I believe the last one- 'Shadow'- which died a year or so back, is the darker-coloured one on the left in the photo.
    • Paradoxurus
      Although the specimen on the left appears to be the healthier of the two, I have a feeling the one on the right outlived it.
    • Pertinax
      Compare with your 2008 photo of 'Shadow' as the last Zeedonk, it indicates by the colour and markings (particularly the very small amount of stripes on rump) that she's the plumper one on the left in this photo.
    • Chlidonias
      I like zedonks (I've never included the extra e). I'm not sure why I like them, I just think they look quite nice, certainly much nicer than horse/zebra hybrids.
    • Pertinax
      These three were lovely. Although similar in size/shape, the ground colour on each was different, one was grey, one was peachy/fawn and the third different again- their muzzles had the different shades too.

The mother was a little black donkey- regarding the father, its been discussed on here previously that although the stripes on the hybrids are reminiscent of a Grevy, we believe the male was a Grants/Chapman's- I have certainly seen a postcard of the donkey together with a Common Zebra.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Colchester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Paradoxurus
    Date:
    26 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    294.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1086px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).