Join our zoo community

10,000 Bc

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by patrick, 11 Mar 2008.

1. mashy

mashy New Member

10000 bc

Well,
    I actually thought the animation was very good on the tiger, quite realistic. Its wasnt supposed to be over emphasised or exaggerated like in the Disney movies.

2. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

I saw on another thread that Rome zoo mislabeled its South American tapirs as Bairds.
    A lot of people find it hard to tell the difference (which is no excuse!)

I recently saw the Mel Gibson produced movie APOCALYPTO, about the Mayans and set in Central America. (Fairly gory - intertribal battles; human sacrifices etc.) The production team were so determined to be accurate that they insisted on a genuine Bairds Tapir for the hunting scene, rather than the more easily available Sth. American tapir.

The only place that they slipped up was in the gorgeous head-dresses of the Mayan nobles which seemed to have many (Asiatic) pheasant feathers.
    (Looked to me like Lady Amherst or Reeves feathers dyed green.) :p

3. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I think 10,000 B.C was an odd movie, the ending was strange to me Evelet died and came back alive. I though Old mother was the one who gave up her life for her but she was suffering before hand, can anyone explain this to me?

P.S A lot of things changed my attention in that cinema so i wasn't fully concentrating.

4. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@Ara: I haven't watched APOCALYPTO so far, but according to the trailer: wasn't there a Burmese python and a black leopard in it? "Accuracy"...? ;)

5. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe it was meant to be a black jaguar. But i don't know 'cos i haven't seen it either but how cool was that tribe photo on the front of Saturdays Herald Sun. A lost tribe.

6. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Sun - to my shame I never even considered that the "black jaguar" in Apocalypto might be a leopard, but you're right - it was a bit on the slim side for a jaguar, and the skull wasn't all that broad either. Clever of the makers to use a black cat rather than a spotted one - its easier to tell the difference between spotted leopards and jaguars than blacks.

I didn't notice the Burmese python - maybe a few too many people remarked on it and they edited that bit out before the Australian release.

7. Sun Wukong

Of course it was MEANT to be a black jaguar-but take another look at the trailer, especially 2:09 (the tail!):
    YouTube - Apocalypto Theatrical Trailer

Now I really have to watch the movie-for the sake of the snake...;)

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I've seen "Apocalypto", and it is so-so at best. Bloody, violent action scenes interspersed with a weak storyline. Sun Wukong is correct about the "jaguar", as it certainly appears to be a leopard. The scene with the Baird's tapir is actually quite well done.

9. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

has anyone seen the new Indiana Jones movie?
    What species of snake is used in that? It looks like an olive python but I'm not sure.

10. Sun Wukong

@boof: Saw it on Monday. I think You're right-looked a lot like an olive python to me. That means two mistakes in one: false labelling and incorrect zoogeography. Well, the movies of the Indiana Jones series were never really correct when it came to animals, so that's just part of the "tradition"...;) Animals in the latest IJ-movie: mentioned olive python, giant (fictional) ants, a shy Turkey vulture in the background, the usual Emperor Scorpions, Tufted Capuchin (both with CGI companions) and CGI Prarie Dogs. Correct me if i missed something.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

from memory there was also a brief shot of a cattle egret in Apocalypto, a species which did not occur in the Americas at the time the movie was set.