Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo ££££££

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Mr Gelada, 18 Nov 2009.

1. Mr Gelada

Mr Gelada Well-Known Member

Hi spoke to a couple of people who say that Edinburgh zoo is in financial difficulty is this true was hoping you lot could shed some light or is it a rumour who knows!!!! I do know that they have taken out a loan to see them through the quieter time of the year :confused:

2. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

Many tourist attractions take out loans during the winter to,as you say see them through the quiter periods, these are usually paid of in full during the easter period as part of a business cycle, yes some of Edinburghs plans revolve around the sale of land that doesn't mean they are in financial difficulty, just that they could do more with the cash than the land.

I've heard from a couple of people that elvis is still alive.................

3. Simon McGlary

Simon McGlary Well-Known Member

80% of Edinburgh Zoo's income is from visitors and visitor numbers are currently up 4% on last year. HWP is 60% up. There were financial problems earlier in the year but it was a short term blip and the zoo is over them now. Obviously, there won't be as much money from the land sale ahd it gone ahead when orginally been planned but much of that money wasn't tagged for animal exhibits rather than infrastructure. Indeed while the infrastructure is improved the zoo would like visitors to be stable than increase dramatically!

Unlike another organisation I am a member of that relies on legacies from members, Edinburgh Zoo is actually in very good shape financially.

4. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

If Edinburgh Zoo ever gets into real trouble then there will be grants and cash being sent to it left, right and centre. Edinburgh Zoo is by far one of the best Zoos in the Country. The UK Zoo Community simply cannot afford to let the City of Edinburgh's Zoo enter bankruptcy.