Join our zoo community

2012 Article & Macaques

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 4 Apr 2016.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Found this interesting news article from 2012 about the struggle of zoos to choose which animals to save and which to leave to their fates.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/28/science/zoos-bitter-choice-to-save-some-species-letting-others-die.html?_r=0

Two things. First, are lion-tailed macaques indeed being phased out? I believe the population in North America is quite old now, and they seem to be disappearing from collections. The article specifically mentions Saint Louis not breeding any of their macaques; as it happens, the last time I visited the macaques were not on display and the signage for them was gone. Zoos that recently held lion-tailed macaques are: Alexandria (sent them on loan to somewhere else?), Assiniboine Park (sent to China and another Canadian zoo, I assume Toronto), Birmingham, Baton Rouge, Cheyenne Mountain, Cincinnati, Detroit, El Paso, Jackson, Lee Richardson, Louisiana Purchase, Baltimore, Memphis, Prospect Park, Reid Park, Riverbanks, Saint Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, Smithsonian, Toronto, and Woodland Park. Does anyone know how many of these zoos are still holders? (Besides Assiniboine Park, which I know is not)

Second: Saint Louis was planning an exhibit for walruses!? (Not the purpose of this thread, but I just thought it was fascinating).

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

San Diego still has them- but they've been rotating exhibit space with a pair of golden cheeked gibbons while they were being introduced to each other. Lion tailed macaques are indeed being phased out (last I knew) because of herpes, a strong breeding program in India, and last I was told the youngest female was 18 years old. When did you last go to Saint Louis? I saw them on my last visit (summer last year) if I remember correctly. I am somewhat surprised about the walrus, but I know they were extremely popular in the past.

3. Coelacanth18

That is indeed sad to hear. They are quite endangered and unique primates. The news about India's breeding program is good to hear though.

I was aware of the herpes virus scare causing a decline in the macaque populations... I wonder why this hasn't been affecting the spread of Japanese macaques across the country? Are they not carriers?

I also visited Saint Louis in spring and summer of last year. They were there with signage in April, but in August I came back to find no signage and no macaques. They are also no longer listed on the zoo's website, which they were previously.

4. jayjds2

I'll be going to Saint Louis probably late summer, depends on how the move goes. My grandmother drives us crazy if we wait too long in between visits. I visited Baltimore last month, and although I was hardly there as a ZooChatter (when it's raining and most animals are off exhibit, I don't pay too much attention if it's a place I know I'll visit again soon) and I didn't pay much attention to be honest. However, after consulting with my mom, we both agree that we saw no macaques nor would anywhere in the zoo be a fitting location for macaques. I don't know what compels the spreading of Japanese macaques. Sulawesi crested are just about gone as well (some at Omaha, Memphis, Buffalo, and a few others I think). Other than those three species, I think that's it for accredited zoos. Las Vegas zoo has the last Barbary macaques in the US. There are pig tailed and bonnet macaques spread throughout non-AZA zoos and private collections. Crab eating (Javan) macaques are few and far between, but I've seen one at a place in Texas. It seems the only species that's here to stay is snow monkeys.

5. Coelacanth18

The Las Vegas Zoo was shut down in 2013 and the macaques were sent to a sanctuary in Kentucky. Toronto has the last ones besides them.

Rhesus macaques are still quite common in research facilities, but other macaque species do indeed seem to be gone. Sulawesi are definitely phase-out, but I've heard Europe has a good program for them. The lion-tailed macaques, though, will apparently have to depend on their home country to protect them now.

6. jayjds2

Good to hear about the Vegas zoo, from what I know the place was trash. Europe does seem to have a very strong Sulawesi program.

7. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As far as I am aware the lion-tailed macaque EEP will send animals to AZA over the next year or so.

8. Coelacanth18

Really? That is excellent news, perhaps they are not on the phaseout list after all. Do you know how the breeding program is going on your side of the pond? Also where did you hear this information?

9. jayjds2

Going back through pics from Cincinatti, lion-tailed a were there at least a few years ago. I don't remember much from Cincinatti (was too focused on Sumatran rhinos and aardwolves, I was youngish and didn't own a camera) but I'd assume they were on Jungle Trails. I'm sure Moebelle or someone else from that area could tell us definitively.

10. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The lion-tailed macaques were and still are on exhibit in Jungle Trails at the Cincinnati Zoo.

11. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We have around 300 in the EEP. My source is very reputable.