Join our zoo community

30 to 50 $ to spend on a zoo-book

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Mehdi, 9 Apr 2017.

1. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi! I was looking to buy a zoo-book with a settled price of 30 to 50 $ (or €) , I thought at first to bu Sheridan's Zooming in Europe Zoos but I read I could spend these 30 bucks more wisely.

Any suggestion (possibly available on Schueling Buchkurier's book site since I'm buying another book from there but not necessarily) ?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

snowleopard likes this.
  3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi Zoo Tycooner FR.

Those are two excellent recommendations, but it really depends on your interests. Do you want a book about a specific zoo, a specific topic (exhibit design, animal welfare, zoo history, etc.), or something else entirely?

If you don't have anything in mind, I'd suggest one of the general textbooks available. Wild Mammals in Captivity (2nd ed.) and particularly Zoo Animals: Behaviour, Management, and Welfare are essential resources for any zoo enthusiast.

Wild Mammals in Captivity: Principles and Techniques for Zoo Management, Second Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Devra G. Kleiman, Katerina V. Thompson, Charlotte Kirk Baer: 9780226440101: Books

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoo-Animal...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YM9SDC972QFKV70WJHND

You did well to avoid Anthony Sheridan!

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I considered suggesting that one, but once postage is taken into account I suspect that book would sadly be rather outside ZTFR's budget.

6. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll see what to choose but everything looks really interesting!

@GiantPanda : Anything zoo-related really haha, I'll admit I have a soft spot for zoo history and reviews about collections.

Giant Panda likes this.
  7. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You're probably familiar with these, but both are still worth buying:

America's Best Zoo'S: Amazon.co.uk: Allen W Nyhuis, Jon Wassner: 9781887140768: Books

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IZES-Guide...73447&sr=1-1&keywords=izes+guide+british+zoos

And, because you'd have money left over, my personal favourite zoo book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Et...=1491773498&sr=1-1&keywords=ethics+on+the+ark

Fascinating, thought-provoking, and a bargain to boot! If only the publishing house hadn't closed down...

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lots of good choices - it will be hard to decide. One of the most enjoyable zoo books I have read is My Marwellous Life by the founder of Marwell Zoo. It may not be one of the world's top zoos (I have never been), but the writing style and anecdotes are thoroughly enjoyable. It is what I would call a "fun" read.

As my friend Snowleopard suggested, the two volume San Diego history is also quite good, but likely out of your price range (especially with international shipping).

9. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

arcadiapublishing.com images of america zoos and aquariums offers paperbacks on 16 facilities.