Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land 50th Anniversary today

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Bubbles, 28 Jun 2011.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Well-Known Member

...and did they do anything to acknowledge this? No! :mad: The miserable lot.

I've never felt so disappointed in the 48 years I've been going there. I cannot believe my local Zoo would ignore this important date. Are they ashamed of it's history or something? :confused: I went and asked and got told.. "Oh yes we know, but we're not doing anything!"

Nothing in the local papers.. nothing on their website and nothing at the Zoo. Well, that just about sums it up perfectly. It makes me wonder why I should bother promoting them via my website.

Btw..it's now £27 EACH to visit.. up from £25 last year and if you don't go on any of the rides it's NOT value for money. We were there for only under 3 hours looking around, having seen everything we wanted to, (minus the rides, etc) and that was with 2 stops and taking photos. Sorry, as much as I USED to like the Zoo, I won't be going back. I struggled to justify their prices every year and after 10 years I finally went last year. I wouldn't have gone this time only it was a special day.. only it didn't turn out to be.

2. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

I find it very strange that any business, let alone one that is very much in the public's eye here in northern England has not promoted the fact that they have been in business for fifty years, what was the reason for not doing so? The £27 admission price is of coarse very high for zoo visitors who do not want to go on rides, we have discussed this on another thread when I suggested that the zoo part only could be open in the off season period at a reduced admission price, I recall you agreed it was a good idea and that you were going to contact the park with this suggestion, did you contact the park with this suggestion?, if so what was their reply?

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This used to happen, at least for a couple of years, up to about five years ago. It was great, pay about £4 to get in and pretty much have the zoo to yourself. Given, on the couple of occasions I went, there were never more than a few dozen visitors wandering around I suspect it was not considered economically/practically viable.

4. Bubbles

I cannot believe they didn't do anything for the 50th. I would have thought any company would be proud to get to that milestone. It's also an insult to the local people and frequent visitors who have been visiting the Zoo for years.

Nothing! I didn't get a reply and also didn't get a reply the last time I sent them an email. Isn't that wonderful? not.

The fact there were only a few dozen visitors wandering around in the winter was probably because it wasn't advertised well enough. I'm sure it's better to have some visitors than none at all. However, during the winter months, we can get some pretty awful weather and as it's 'out the back way' as we locals say... it's difficult to get to when there's snow...

Regarding admission prices: In 2000 the admission to the theme park and zoo was £12, family ticket (four people) was £42. Under-fours: free.

Admission to zoo: (Winter) adults £2.75, children £2.25.

5. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Who did you contact at the zoo? I've always found them very helpful when i've contacted them. I was there a few weeks back and there was a display in the education centre about the history of the zoo, with lots of old black and white photos, etc. Was this still there?

6. Bubbles

No one in particular... I just sent an email to the info address like I was told to do. Is there another email address I can use?

I never went in the education centre, we thought it was just for children and school parties. I sent an email suggesting they put old photos up for display months ago, but of course I never heard back and now I learn they have some up and they hadn't the decency to let me know. :mad:

7. Blossom

That normally works. There is a general zoo@ email address, you could always give that a go. Did you see the baby giraffe on your visit? And what is their new development like?

8. Bubbles

Ok, thanks..will try that.

Yes, I saw the baby giraffe..(see below). Which new development are you referring to?

[​IMG]

9. Blossom

Thanks, That looks quite big for a 4 week old. Was there another baby in the Rothschild's group? On their fansite there is mention of a new development called Children's Planet, did you see this at all?

10. Bubbles

No, didn't see any other baby giraffe. I had a look at the Children's Planet, which is basically just a play area, but didn't go on anything. ;-0

11. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Appartnley the Children's Planet is to/already house Warty Pigs, Warthogs, Otters, Coati's and much more.

12. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I visited the zoo on the fiftieth anniversary last Tuesday and was treated exceptionally well because of it. The zoo staff are always very friendly and helpful whenever I visit. The historical display was still in the Education Centre - it is part of the national "love your zoo" initiative. I was discussing the old days with a fellow visitor as we scanned the boards. I liked the animal exhibits in "Children's Planet" - sensible sized pens for Red River Hogs and Warthogs for one thing, and it was good to see Coatis back at the zoo. Visayan Warty Pigs were due to arrive the following day. I am sorry you were disappointed, Bubbles - I was wishing I still visited the zoo every fortnight as I did until a couple of years ago. If the Bird Walk were still there I should be going more regularly. I paid £13.50 for admission with a voucher from the local press.

13. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Nice photo of the baby giraffe and the mother, pity about the scenary,

14. Bubbles

...oh I'm sorry, I'll tell them to shift the ride next time.

15. Bubbles

Andrew..being that you're obviously on good terms with the staff. Did you ask them their reasons for not doing anything on Tuesday?

16. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

That would be nice, preferably well away from the animals

17. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I spoke to quite a few people, but no one was aware it was THE DAY until I mentioned it. I've always found people there to be very interested in the history of the place, but obviously they are very busy too.

Did you go into the Reptile House? It is to close, with some of the specimens to be exhibited in "Children's Planet". I'll be sorry to see another piece of history go - especially one with such evocative iron railings! (I'm pretty much a zoo traditionalist).

18. Bubbles

No, not this time, Andrew.

I got a reply from Mr Gibb about why they didn't acknowledge the 50 years. "We do not view our enterprise as being 50 years old. Our company was incorporated in 1976 and rest assured we will mark our 50th anniversary in style when it has been achieved" .

19. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

I find this strange, how can an enterprise celebrate its 50th anniversary in2026 when it originally opened in 1961? I think if Flamingo Land do celebrate their 50th anniversary in 2026 they will find that this will be very much overshadowed on the British zoo scene as I think I am correct in stating that a zoological society was started in 1826 by two blokes called Raffles and Davey, so therefore this zoo will be celebrating its bicentenary in 2026.

20. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

In 2013, three zoos in the U.K. will be celebrating "genuine" 50th anniversaries, Welsh Mountain, Twycross and Colchester. In the case of the first two they were originally opened as private collections later to become charitable trusts, in the case of the latter it is still privately owned however not by its original owner, who I think was Mr. Frank Farrar,
    I am sure all three will be celebrating their 50th in 2013.