Join our zoo community

$8 Friday Nights

Discussion in 'United States' started by Otter Lord, 16 Mar 2012.

1. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have the pleasure of visiting the National Aquarium tomorrow but I am debating about the $25 dollar cost. However, on Friday nights the aquarium is open for an extra 3 hours and it costs only 8 bucks after 5, which is its typical closing time.

Has anyone ever tried this and do you know if 3 hours is enough to see the aquarium? Are crowds a problem at this time too?

2. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

You've probably already decided, but 3 hours is enough, but you may want more time depending on your pace and if you see the dolphin show (not sure if they have it that late). I believe most exhibits are still open after 8 as well.

It will be more crowded for sure, but it shouldn't be unbearable.

3. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah thanks, I went and it was great. For future zoo chatters who want to go, they sell their tickets for certain timeslots, but they allow people in about 15 minutes early if you have a ticket for that time slot. I bought my ticket there and I had to wait for about an hour to get in, so I just walked around inner harbor which was quite enjoyable. I think if you buy online for a time slot after 5 PM on Fridays, it will charge you 8 dollars, but make sure it says $8 before you purchase. If I ever go back, I am probably just going to buy online to avoid having to wait to purchase a ticket and run the risk of crowds.

I believe the reason for timeslots is to make sure the aquarium doesn't get to crowded. Crowds wasn't a big issue except for the smaller exhibits on Pier 4. Its tough to get time in front of the glass when only a few people can stand there and there are kid's banging on the glass looking for Nemo and Dorthy. Its definitely manageable though.