Join our zoo community

A Fantasy Jurassic Park, but for endangered island fauna

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Kawekaweau, 8 Apr 2017.

1. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Here is one of my ultimate, ideal "zoo" ideas. It will never happen, because it would cost hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars and years of legal negotiations to make (and I'm not sure if it's even physically possible), but it would be a true wonder of the world, an artificial archipelago that acts as a wildlife reserve, zoo, aquarium and museum all in one. A Jurassic Park of sorts, really, but with currently endangered small animals and plants. The ecosanctuary/islands are designed to be self-sustaining.

The three main artificial islands of this chain would be scale replicas of small offshore islands of New Caledonia, Lord Howe Island and Norfolk Island. They would be founded on a large atoll (some sacrifices have to be made) and surrounded with a large wall with mechanisms to keep floodwaters from rising sea levels out. The water contained inside would be a large lagoon with small, restored coral reefs (bred and selected for heat and acid tolerance) home to a small amount of sealife. A fourth artificial island in the middle would be the ranger base and security center with a small, somewhat self-sustaining farm area with small but nutritious crops and water desalination mechanisms in case of emergency so anyone somehow trapped can be kept alive for a while. The visitors would visit the other islands under strict supervision from here, and there is a helicopter landing pad. Real Jurassic Park stuff. A small museum area showing the fossil remains of extinct species of the represented islands (Mekosuchus, Meiolania, Sylviornis, etc) and taxidermy specimens is on the site as well.

The New Caledonia island is a replica of the Isle of Pines. A small forest of Cook pine (Araucaria columnaris) is present, along with a selection of other foliage to provide homes for native reptile species, including crested geckoes (Rhacodactylus ciliatus) and giant geckoes (Rhacodactylus leachianus), as well as assorted invertebrates and a small population of terror skinks (Phoboscincus bocourti). Other possible inhabitants include a few species of common native birds.

The Norfolk Island area is not based on any island in particular, instead being a scale replica of the main island. Norfolk pine (Araucaria heterophylla) forest is planted throughout, as is Norfolk palm (Rhopalostylis baueri), and giant tree ferns (Cyathea brownii). Norfolk swallowtail butterflies (Norfolk swallowtail) are introduced, as are the plants they feed on. Other invertebrates are also introduced, mainly as food for the native lizards, a skink (Oligosoma lichenigera) and gecko (Christinus guentheri). Both of the lizard species are also present on the Lord Howe Island replica.

The Lord Howe Island replica is based on a couple of small offshore islands, including Ball's Pyramid, the one hosting the rediscovery of the Lord Howe Island stick insect (Dryococelus australis), and indeed, many are present. Native stag beetles (Lamprima insularis) and various flora, notably Melaleuca howeana and Howea palms are also present, as are the skibnk and gecko present on the replica of Norfolk Island.

In the sea/lagoon within the wall there is a large artificial reef with hardy corals, as well as a wrecked ship for diving in. Epaulette sharks (Hemiscyllium ocellatum) and their prey are introduced due to their hardiness.

Overall, this is more of an ecosanctuary than a zoo, but I thought it was still worth sharing here. If you have any suggestions just tell me, this is my ultimate fantasy and I realize it will never happen (though I still hope a terror skink breeding programme will be initiated soon). I may do a temperate island version.

2. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sounds very cool! You could also add some wobbegongs, green sea turtles, loggerheads, hawksbill turtles, eagle rays and manta rays, aswell as various fish.

3. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Wobbegongs and smaller fish are possible, but I don't think the turtles or rays would do very well. Leaping blennies are an intriguing possibility.