Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park A few questions about Hamerton

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 9 Aug 2009.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Little is generally known about this little park, i have a few questions i hope that zoochatters could answer for me.

Do they still have a pair of palm nut vulture?

Are the black backed jackal breeding successfully, i know 3 pups were born last February, did they survive?

Did they receive a giant anteater?

Thank you in advance

2. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would also be interested in any news from Hamerton . Their stock is no longer listed on ISIS and their web-site does not give any collection news . It seems a visit is the only way to find out what is happening at this very interesting collection , which I visited for the first time last year .

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The still had the Palm Nut Vultures when I visited about two months ago.

There's a sizeable group of Jackals now so I assume they have bred, but I'm not sure when.

On my last visit the enclosure for the Giant Anteater was part built (a Hamerton speciality :)) but I don't know whether they might have had any off show.

4. chris

chris Member

I have booked the day off work next Friday, to go to Hamerton Zoo. Is it worth going? i am mainly going to take photos www.animalsandbuildings.co.uk. If anyone has been, please let me know what its like. Again, as you mention on here, there is not much on their website about their zoo :(

5. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

They do now have a female Giant Anteater at the zoo but i think its currently off-show. Their new enclosure is very very basic and has fixtures such as patio doors, plastic windows and looks more like a wooden garage!

The zoo is again very basic but exhibits some wonderful rare animals. Although the zoo has little money and the animal exhibits are a bit cramped its a lovely open space and you are sure to always see something different each time.

6. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

I went a few weeks ago, never saw the Vultures, never saw the Jackals, never saw the Aardwolf. Its a nice place to visit, fairly small but spacey and pleasant to walk round. They have Jaguarundi, Oncilla, Cheetah, Tiger and Serval if you like Cats, many Bird species aswell as Lemurs, Monkeys and other things.

7. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

These were taken at Hamerton a few weeks back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chris

chris Member

lovely cheetah photos! How an earth did you manage to get so close to the cheetah enclosure? I couldnt find a walkway to it. I could see the cheetah in the distance, but couldnt get anywhere near the enclosure :(. To be honest, struggled to get close to any enclosure at HAMerton. Its a great little zoo, but for my interest of photography, i wont be going again.
    Animals and Buildings from around the UK

9. ZooLeopard

hamerton is a very small zoo which has mainly chain link fencing and bars. How an earth did you take such magnificent shots. well done :)

10. mr.felidae

mr.felidae Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me whether Hamerton has Jungle Cats please?
    The following site (ZootierlisteHomepage) says they do but i dont know how reliable it is, however there is no mention of them on the hamerton website...

Appreciate your help :)

11. ZooLeopard

They did on my last visit in June but as you say their website is non-reliable. I do wish they would create a new one like Linton Zoo have.

12. mr.felidae

thanks for that...is there anywhere else in the uk keeping jungle cats? all different websites say different things and i dont even bother with ISIS anymore as its seems to be so unreliable

13. Shorts

Are you certain of this, it would be a new (at least in the last 6 or so years) species for them.

Where are they kept?

14. ZooLeopard

Hi Shorts
    I could be wrong but I am sure that the zoo had them when I went. I think they were next to or near the Oncilla?

15. Shorts

Hi ZooLeopard.

From your description it sounds like you might be referring to the Jaguarundi, was the enclosure opposite some aviaries and next to the Meerkats and Sloth House?

16. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I think there are no longer Jungle Cats on exhibit in the UK, unless some sanctuary-type places have any (exotic pet refuge?). The Cat Survival Trust?

I would think there would be a number in private hands.

Port Lypmne had 0.2 old females from Howletts for some years in an old de brazza monkey cage below the first rhino paddock, but I assume they died of old age.

Interestingly, some web articles suggest individuals resembling this species are said to show up as roadkill around british ports, especially in Hampshire, and were supposedly kept as ship cats by sailors who would often return with them from India.

17. ZooLeopard

No near the oncilla next to what i think are the howlers? Opposite the old farm.

18. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

I think the Cat Survival Trust in Hertfordshire keeps Jungle Cats.

The Cat Survival Trust itself is a registered charity concerned with the conservation of wild cat species and preservation of their natural habitat. They also operate as a sort of cat rescue; housing impounded cats from unlicensed private ownership.

19. mr.felidae

No the C.S.T dont have Jungles...im friends with the guys incharge and was staying up there over easter. i only asked about hamerton having them because i saw it on this website... ZootierlisteHomepage ... have been trying to get hold of hamerton but no reply

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I`m pretty certain that Hammerton don`t have Jungle Cats in the collection hoping to visit over December will find out if I go,will just say that I`ve been about 12 times to Hammmerton and they have never had Jungle Cats on any of those visits,so if they have got any they arrived this year.