Join our zoo community

A Guidebook Library: TLD's year-long randomised walkthrough of zoo guides

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by TeaLovingDave, 1 Jan 2022.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Picathares from the guide-book of Wassenaar - 1962 was still alive in 1964 ( source : List of rare animals in the International Zoo Yearbook ). For 1965 the species is not listed for Wassenaar - which doesn't mean it was not there - and in 1966 again 1 specimen is listed. In 1967 3 birds were listed as was in 1968 and 1969. 1970 one bird died or was send to another collection and the 2 remaining birds are listed also in 1971 and 1972. In 1973 3 birds are listed and after then no birds are listed anymore...
    A return of the species is VERY unlikely. In the past 24 collections have kept the species but only 3 were succesfull in breeding them ( Artis 3 x, Frankfurt 6 x and San Antonio 1x ). With modern husbandry and new food-mixtures I guess the results with new imported birds would be now-a-days much better,however I have little hope that any zoo would take the challenge.
    For the Quetzal I have little information but on my first visits at the end of the 1970s and beginning 1980's I remember seeing this species ( most prob. not the same specimens from the 1962-guidebook ).

2. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It could be that the lack of engagement (in terms of replys) is low because your overviews are so detailed, meaning the questions most folks would have had were answered.

Please don't feel disheartened with the lack of responses, I can assure you that many folks are enjoying and look forward to each post.

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

First of all, what a beautiful cover illustration!

I've had the WWT collections - and Slimbridge in particular - on my mind lately, both since I visited Sylvan Heights Bird Park (one of the two American waterfowl-focused collections I'm aware of) and since your first WWT guidebook post. It's interesting to see how far back Slimbridge has been maintaining its large collection. The information about their conservation work with local waterfowl is also great to see.

Interestingly, Sylvan Heights also built a tropical house (still very much in use) with a variety of non-waterfowl species; I was surprised to find a number of unusual species in it (a couple of which were unsigned despite their rarity!). Does the Slimbridge guidebook go into much detail about what species were kept there, and how many of those are still found in UK or in Europe?

Another interesting historical factoid; I'd always just assumed that hummingbirds were more of an unusual group that had never been widely bred or held. The bans on collection certainly make a lot of sense, however; even today the mass-scale poaching of hummingbirds for good-luck charms and other uses put a significant amount of pressure on many species (and that's putting the risk of climate change aside). Is this an example of where private investment in breeding hummingbirds trickled to a halt and public collections never picked it up on their end?

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm really enjoying all of your posts but haven't had much to contribute. You're doing a fantastic job covering everything, and me asking "Are there cheetahs?" with each one probably isn't constructive ;) I know you intended this to be random, but for engagement it might be better to do place by place. That way you're not repeating background stuff in the future, and people aren't waiting to see if something is covered in a previous or newer edition.

Now that I have a bit of money again, I think I need a few more of these...

5. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Absolute stunning artstyle on these covers! I think my favorite of them has to be the Grévy's zebra

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Well, more that public collections lost interest in keeping them or never really got the knack of breeding them reliably, so when the (mostly Dutch I believe) private breeders started passing away the remaining source of new animals dried up and the husbandry knowledge was never passed on. I imagine this is a subject on which @vogelcommando could speak much more authoritatively of course, given his past and present connections both to public and private aviculture on the Continent.

It should be noted incidentally that the European ban on the import of wild-caught birds of which I speak applies to all birds, not merely hummingbirds, and was a move to control the risk of avian influenza rather than being based on any conservational concerns.

Always worth keeping one's eyes peeled on the secondary market!

vogelcommando, Ursus and Coelacanth18 like this.
  7. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I also have a guide book of this zoo (it's not dated but it has a moutain lion with cub on the cover) and also a map. I bought both together on one of the Zoo Historica auctions. Both are separately prised for resp. 50 and 25 cts., so probably they were also sold separately.

The map is different from the one Vogelcommando has posted: it's in colour, with animal icons..
    If someone is intereste, I can try to poste it on the gallery.

8. TeaLovingDave

If it's the edition I am thinking of, that will be the 1971 guidebook :) and by all means upload an image of the map - it will be very interesting to post within this thread as comparison to the later map uploaded by Vogelcommando, and the earlier map in my possession (which I reckon I will upload ASAP rather than waiting to see if the guidebook it came with comes up randomly.

9. TeaLovingDave

To whet people's appetites, I have the page scans for the next three guidebook posts ready to go, and the subsequent handful of guidebooks awaiting coverage have now been selected :) so, the next week or two will include coverage of guidebooks from the following countries - have fun trying to predict when and where!

United Kingdom x4
    Belgium x1
    Germany x2
    United States x1
    Poland x1
    Switzerland x1

And here is an image showing two items in my collection which are not zoo guides per se, but which I will likely highlight at some point or another as a bonus post - these are photographic volumes containing little text and focusing entirely on presenting photographs of species held at Zoo Berlin at the time of publication; the first, Lebende Bilder : Aus dem Reiche der Tiere, was published in 1899 and has been mentioned by myself within this thread previously, whilst the second, Streifzüge durch den Zoologischen Garten Berlin mit der Zeiss Ikon-Camera, was published in 1927.

134638551_10160737606622571_3083892012829376365_n.jpg

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There still are some public and private Hummingbird-breeders in Europe ( esp. the Netherlands, France and Italy but none of them (afaik ) at the scale of the dutch breeder with past away some years ago ). For more info on Hummingbirds see this thread :
    Hummingbirds in zoos

11. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What do the insides of those books look like? The one on the left has such a pretty cover.

12. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Looking at the Tierpark guides there is a cover featuring koalas. I didn’t know they kept koalas; does anyone know when they did and where they were housed?

13. TeaLovingDave

As noted, I intend to post photographs from both and discuss them at greater length at some point :) but I'll get a sample shot from each and upload them as an attachment before the next guidebook post goes up.

I don't know offhand whereabouts they were housed - I will check the guidebook in question anon to see if it gives any indication - but from my memory they were a six-month limited period loan from San Diego Zoo in 1994, and were the first known koalas to have ever been displayed in a German zoo - although Duisburg received the first of their stock from San Diego later that year on a more permanent basis.

Shirokuma and TinoPup like this.
  14. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I feel compelled to say, @TeaLovingDave, that you are doing a fabulous job on this thread. The attention to detail is magnificent and I am really enjoying reading about a lot of cool guidebooks. I think that @ThomasNotTom has summed it up perfectly and we are all loving your analysis of various zoo literature. I have a few hundred guidebooks but nothing like your 1,000 and so I'm finding it fascinating to see memorabilia through your eyes. Don't worry about the lack of responses, as you are so detailed that there's not much left to say. Keep it up mate! :)

15. TeaLovingDave

@Shirokuma

Having checked the 1994 Tierpark Berlin guidebook, the pair of koalas were held in the Alfred-Brehm Haus (by the looks of it in an enclosure within the central walkthrough hall) and were present from April 1994 to September 1994. The individuals concerned were called "Gigdee" and "Dinki-Di".

@TinoPup

As requested, here are some phonecam shots from the two photographic volumes to tide you over until I cover them properly:

IMG_20220117_133212588.jpg IMG_20220117_133112596.jpg

IMG_20220117_133350015.jpg IMG_20220117_133515033.jpg

Note the presence of some real oddities in both selections, including two extinct taxa!

16. TeaLovingDave

The eternal battle between doing as detailed a write-up as possible, and leaving enough space for questions and responses :p glad you are enjoying it; I may even have a North American guide or two which will give you a pleasant surprise if they come up in the random roll!

snowleopard likes this.
  17. TeaLovingDave

Day 15: Howletts Wild Animal Park (1976) - Asian hoofstock in parkland

[​IMG]

Page count: 40
    Photographs: 48 (including one double-page image and 11 full-page images)
    Illustrations/diagrams: 37 (including two double-page diagrams)
    Layout: General overview of the Aspinall family, the manor and parkland, and species holdings.
    Map: N/A

This time, a guidebook giving a rather interesting insight into the early years of a collection - and zoological organisation - which has been discussed with quite some regularity on Zoochat in the last decade or so! This is one of my more recent acquisitions, having come to me a year or two through an eBay user who was (and still is) one of the most reliable sources for rare and unusual zoo paraphernalia, having worked in the zoo and conservation world for several decades - a fairly significant portion of my collection of annual reports, maps and zoo inventories has been purchased from him over the years, but I've also been quite a regular customer of his when zoo guidebooks are concerned too; as it happens, my most recent purchase was from him!

This particular item can best be termed as "short but choice" I reckon - in terms of actual textual content, there is rather less than one would expect from a guidebook covering a total of 40 pages, but this is more than balanced out by a large number of photographs in full colour, as well as numerous small drawings and diagrams in the section discussing animal species held at Howletts at the time of publication. Overall, the guidebook can be broken down into five distinct segments, which I shall discuss in turn. The first of these, a segment of which is visible below, is a general overview of the collection, its history and the overall aims and "mission statement" of John Aspinall and his two zoological collections, and is appropriately enough titled "Welcome to Howletts". Two aspects of this section particularly leap out to my eye; the emphasis being placed on the importance of breeding species in captivity to form a back-up population for eventual reintroduction once the wild environment is once again suitable (quite different from the current Aspinall policy of phasing out as many species as possible by halting all breeding, or sending entire populations of species back into the wild whether they are ready to do so or not), and the rather blase way in which John Aspinall betrays his well-known extreme right-wing political sentiments with a brief digression about the evils of "Christianity, Islam and Communism" :p

[​IMG]

Beyond here we reach a pair of linked segments; "Know the animals" and "Where they are found"; these comprise first a summary of the various species held at Howletts at the time of publication, with each taxon represented by a small monochrome drawing/symbol and a short paragraph relating a handful of facts about the species in question, followed by a segment where these drawings, alongside short sentences relating the natural habitat of the species in question, are numbered and used as the key for a pair of diagrams (one showing Africa and the Indian subcontinent, and the other the entire world) showing the rough location where these species occur in the wild. These diagrams, although informative at a very broad level, are fairly inaccurate and awkward to reference - several numbers are used multiple times to reflect the wider range of some species, occasionally in areas which are not correctly placed; as such, the first segment, where the species are initially discussed, is superior in my opinion.

[​IMG]

The next portion of the guidebook, "Friends of the family", comprises a fairly lengthy segment - eight pages in total - devoted to the Aspinall family and their close bond with the animals in their care.... or to put it another way, after a few paragraphs discussing various animals with which John and his children were in regular close contact, and a section on the animals handreared by keepers at Howletts - featuring the rather revealing line "our keepers and their women-folk" - we are presented with a dozen photographs showing various members of the extended Aspinall family (including all three of his children, his mother, and his Osborne half-siblings) kissing and cuddling chimpanzees, gorillas, leopards, wolves and tigers. Given the fact that several keeper deaths occurred due to incidents involving tigers at Howletts in the decades following the publication of this guidebook, the lattermost category of photographs is particularly startling to look at with hindsight!

[​IMG]

Beyond here, there is a segment devoted to discussing the history of the manor and surrounding parkland within which the collection is situated, also going into some detail on the various trees planted throughout over the centuries, and the deliberate choice to focus on Asian hoofstock in the central "deer park" rather than African species, as was - and still is - the case at many safari parks in the UK. Unsurprisingly, then, this portion of the guide has the title "Howletts beautiful parkland" and is fittingly illustrated by numerous images of the various species of hoofstock displayed at the collection, along with a double-page image showing Howletts Manor and the surrounding woodland - as can be seen below.

[​IMG]

The final section - and, where written text is concerned, the briefest - is simply called "The Howletts Collection", and comprises nothing more nor less than three short paragraphs once again introducing the collection, followed by 14 pages of full-colour (and often full-page) photographs showing various species held at Howletts at the time of publication, from the various big cats and gorillas to oddities such as Ratel, Fisher and Bengal Tiger - the latter of which, at the time in question, may have even been genuine. In many ways this section, along with the earlier brief overview of species held at Howletts and the discussion of the parkland within which it is located, can be seen as the de-facto "heart" of the guidebook and the main focus as far as the zoo-guide enthusiast is concerned, with the remaining sections being more applicable to those wishing to understand the individuals involved with the collection... both past and present!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This, then, is a rather interesting and revealing guidebook - it is well-designed and attractively-formatted, even if the sections detailing the animal collection have their flaws as already discussed, and the choice of photographic material throughout is excellent. The only real fault with the guidebook is that, fairly unusually for items published at this time in the UK, it entirely omits any map or other such material giving an impression of the layout of the collection itself, and similarly no photographic material giving an insight into enclosure design or appearance is present. Overall, though, definitely an item which is worth picking up by anyone with an interest in the collection, or in UK collections in general!

18. Philipine eagle

This is the zoo guide I was writing about. As mentioned, it's not dated. It's 108 pages and contains only black and white pictures and advertissements.

On the front cover is a mountain lion with cub (someone told me it's a golden cat but I don't think so).

It contains a very extensive description of the bird department (often with names not in use anymore).

Species mentioned in the guide (with their occurence in the zoo according to ZTL): shoebill (1950 - 1953 at least), lion-tailed macaque (1964-1974), Coppersmith's barbet, quetzal (1951 - 1960 at least), white-necked picathartes (1957-1973), Guianan cock-of-the-rock (1952-1962), Elephant seal (southern) (1963-1974).
    Species mentioned in the guide but not on ZTL, f.e. Vieilliots barbet, Indian Pitta (described as 'nine-colors pitta'), Cretzschmar's bunting, Lidth' jay, etc.

The Asian golden cats are not mentioned (1966-1982 and 1982-1991 on ZTL) as are the bonobo (1973-1986 on ZTL). Could this guide date from before 1966?

TinoPup likes this.
  19. Philipine eagle

This is de Dierenpark Park Map which I bought together with the mountain lion zoo guide on a ZooHistorica meeting at Burgers Zoo.

It's not sure both guide and map have the same date. As both are priced (guide 50 cents, map 25 cents), they were sold separately.

This map is very different from the one Ursus has uploaded.

I found a website Dierenpark Wassenaar, de helaas Verlaten Dierentuin van Nederland were this map has been labelled as the last situation when the zoo closed, but that can't be true.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2022
  20. TeaLovingDave

Yes, that *is* indeed the 1971 guidebook to which I referred :) I have never been 100% certain whether it's a golden cat or not; the adult looks pretty good for GC but the cub slightly less so.