Join our zoo community

a letter to miniaturezoo954 :) or anyone interested in model zoos

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by bizzoblaze, 20 Jun 2010.

1. bizzoblaze

bizzoblaze Member

Let me start off by telling you a little bit about my self. all my life i have liked animals and going to zoos, although i am only 23yrs old, i have been to a number of zoos all over Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, North and South Dakota, Minnesota. most of them when i was much younger, i have even gotten to meet Columbus zoo Director Jack Hannah.

(random note) :)
    I have also worked 3 years at a local haunted house and owned and worked in professional wrestling for the past 7 years! i also do model railroading in the HO scale and drive a hearse! i am prolly the most diverse person on the face of the earth!
    anyway.

BUT the reason i am posting this to you or those interested in model zoos is that i myself have taken on the immense undertaking of creating a model zoo. although from the sounds of your previous posts my zoo would cower to your high detail and customization non the less we share the same passion.

at this point in my project i am combing through my collection of well over 1,000 animals to thin out the ones that do not reflect my chosen scale, which is a custom mix between Safari Ltd. Models and Schelich. i had to come up with my own ruler to measure my models because i could not find a suitable existing one.

up until now i have been spending the past few months skimming the web in the hopes of finding any kind of picture or mention of someone else who had built a model zoo, and until you i have only found the HO scale models mentioned else where on these forums.

i have decided to start out small with my undertaking and work from a small petting/barn zoo and expand with more exhibits and building as i go.
    right now i have plans on building this portion on a 4x8 surface, and although my scale is almost half of what i believe you said yours was, i do understand how you would need a football field to do what you are hoping.

i havent seen any posts by you past 2009, so i dont even know if you are on here but if anyone else is interested please feel free to contact me with ideas, and i will post pictures of everything i possible can that you would like to see.

look forward to any replies to this, and i hope to keep you all up to date as i go along and share this journey of discovery and learning with everyone.

2. john p

john p Member

So how's your zoo coming along?

[​IMG]I'm someone else who's interested in miniature zoos...
    You can see some photos of my miniature zoo at:

Chincoteague Island Zoo

- john

3. bizzoblaze

bizzoblaze Member

wow, very nice! i am still collected animals and have a LARGE collection going. i have several other projects taking up my time as well as a full time job, and going to real zoos, so needless to say i have not gotten very far on mine.

you can see some of my collection, and some picture of zoos i have been to here Animal Fever: Miniature Zoo | Facebook

this weekend me and my girlfriend will be heading from Wisconsin, through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, west Virginia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Washington DC to about 10 zoos and wild life parks. so i wont have any time to work on my model, but will be getting PLENTY of exhibit ideas for when i do.

4. john p

john p Member

Sounds like a great zoo trip - wish I was going, too. I'm sure you'll get some wonderful ideas for your miniature zoo. Have a nice time. Will take a look at your facebook page.

5. john p

john p Member

A Rainy Day at the Sea Lion's Pool at the Chincoteague Island Zoo

[​IMG]

6. bizzoblaze

bizzoblaze Member

Very nice i love the moving water.