Join our zoo community

A manatee from Beijing Zoo to Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Deer Forest, 24 Sep 2014.

Tags:
  1. Deer Forest

Deer Forest Well-Known Member

In 1976, Beijing Zoo recieved a pair of West Indian manatees from Mexico as one of the "thank you" gift (include 5 kind of animals) for pandas. The manatees bred two times. The baby born in 1982 survived and was said to been sent to Japan.

[​IMG]

I want know the story of the little manatee in Japan. Could someone tell me? Thank you!

2. FrancoiseLangur

FrancoiseLangur Well-Known Member

According to some blogs, the Caribbean manatee Jing Sheng (maybe meaning "born in the capital city?) was sent to Yomiuri Land Aquarium (now closed) from Beijing Zoo in 1988 and lived there with an Amazonian manatee. Unfortunately he died there in 2000. He was only 18 years old at the time of his death.

3. Deer Forest

Thank you FrancoiseLangur! Sure the name means "Born in Beijing". Interestingly, the first Asian elephant born in Beijing Zoo is also named "Jing Sheng".

As far as I now Amazonian manatees are very rare in captive. Are there any Amazonian manatees in Japan now?

4. FrancoiseLangur

FrancoiseLangur Well-Known Member

You're welcome!

Atagawa Tropical & Alligator Garden have one male Amazonian manatee who is presumed to be 51 years old.

5. trevorzoo

trevorzoo New Member

The next time steal photos best indicate the source.

6. Deer Forest

Definately I will if I could found the source, but many photo are widely spread on the Internet, maybe from a book or magazine.

By the way, you remind me of "cnu history".