Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park A positive South Lakes thread!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Weare2, 23 Jun 2016.

1. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Another positive comment - I have NOT visited, and never would!!
    (oops, that bit was slightly negative ) :D

Farmer likes this.
  2. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Well I can give you a double positive.....................

I HAVE visited............

And I'm positive I took a positively average photo of the aforementioned Tayra.

Or is that a triple positive...........;)

http://www.zoochat.com/212/tayra-1-4-14-a-360170/

I might even go again in couple of weeks whilst in the area. Judging by a post on their facebook page today something is happening behind the scenes.:eek:

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I'm assuming they have moved since I was there last September when I saw them :(

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Post seems to have been deleted - what did it say?

5. Big Rob

Its still there. Quote from Facebook. Sorry if I'm not supposed to post it. Please delete if not allowed! :confused:

" Conservation of wild animals and their habitats has been for 20 years the backbone, the passion and the drive behind Safari Zoo. Without Safari Zoo and its well over 300,000 visitors every year all our projects would close and end overnight. Over 100 staff overseas would be placed in dramatic circumstances by loosing their only income to feed their families in the poorest parts of the world. the longest running and most successful Tiger Protection programme in Indonesia would stop after 20 years and many other world renowned projects would fail. If you are as passionate about conservation as we are then please watch this page as all this staggeringly important scientific , protection and humanitarian work is being threatened by events here in the UK (nothing to do with EU either ! ) . We will be counting on your support, your passion and your goodwill to help us in any fight to keep the funding for all our vital works and our staff overseas and whilst we hope we can find a solution the threat is real and imminent.

Sorry if its not very "positive". :rolleyes:

6. Big Rob

Well I'm positive they had 1 male and 2 female Nyala in the African enclosure on Saturday,along with numerous Zebra,Wildebeest,White rhino,Crowned cranes and Giraffes.

They also had the recently mention Tayra still there. It was very active just after the penguins were being fed,and even managed to beg a small fish from one of the keepers.

I'm also positive that they have made a great deal of improvements since my last visit. The new Leopard,Jaguar,Lion and Arctic Wolf enclosures looked adequate but nothing fancy.No real raised areas or climbing apparatus like I would have expected for the first 2 species but ive seen worse. Now they have combined the old Tiger and Jaguar enclosures that is a good size with lots of shade and quiet areas for the Sumatran Tigers.
    The new spectacled/Andean bear enclosure is a massive improvement. Lots of shade ,climbing and enrichment opportunities. Strange to see Lemurs in there too though.
    The old bear enclosure still has Tapir in there along with Maned wolves,that were very active even in the bright sunny weather,and Spider monkeys. Another bizzare combination!
    The huge aviary with Vultures and Andean Condors is great. Lots of free flying room.
    I was positively gutted that the walkway between the Wolves and Snow leopards was closed as photo opportunities for the wolves especially is very limited.:(
    I was positively amused when someone pointed out to a friend/relative that the Prairie dogs were actually baby Capybara!
    I'm positive the car-park and new entrance is a vast improvement too.Gift shop had some lovely stuff in,as well as the usual kids tat.
    I'm positive that they have taken a positive step forward,even though there is still lots of tidying up to do,and still some weird animal combinations there.:)

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

so the bears are now in their own enclosure, and not mixed with animals they can kill*? That is definitely a positive!

*free-ranging lemurs notwithstanding.

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We saw a Wallaby in with the Bears at the end of January. Appeared to have hopped over the fence. From the reaction of the Bears (or lack of it) it didn't appear to be the first time they'd met

I think they're mixed with Coati at the moment or were ?

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The only positive (for a negative ... to speak in photography terms) would be for DG to vacate it, leave management and zoo foundation in able hands. For now it is a negative - as this will not happen in the next 6 months - and after the zoo will just wither (unless concrete steps are taken by current SLWAP people and staff to rectify this Catch-22).

10. canaryboy2

canaryboy2 Active Member

What about not wearing rose tinted spectacles, and just being truthful. We're not an internet marketing campaign for the zoo.