Join our zoo community

A Threatened Toad’s Hallucinogenic Secretions Are in High Demand

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 14 Jun 2021.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I read this article today which I thought I'd share as it is a very interesting and different topic from the usual stories involving endangered species and the often predictable reasons for their endangerment.

This is a piece about the Colorado river toad and the capture / poaching of this species for its highly sought after hallucinogenic / psychedelic toxins.

The poaching of the toad is believed to be one of the main causes of its decline in the wild (somewhat similar to the situation facing the peyote cactus).

A Threatened Toad's Hallucinogenic Secretions Are in High Demand

UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  2. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Colorado River toad/Sonoran Desert toad (Incilius alvarius) are very common where I live. During rainstorms and monsoon seasons, I have actually seen them in my apartment complex and surrounding areas. I had no idea that this was happening... Thank you for sharing this @Onychorhynchus coronatus

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

No problem @UngulateNerd92, Glad you found it interesting !

Wow, inside your apartment complex ? really ?!

I think it is a problem that will only continue to grow because the properties of the toads toxin as an entheogen / psychedelic have recently gone viral on youtube.

Celebrities like Mike Tyson and others are speaking about it and there are many who will be curious to try it out.

Psychedelics and entheogenic exploration are now back in fashion and just as with peyote in earlier decades there are psychonauts / trippers who no doubt do not realize they are doing this species and its population any harm but actually are.

I would hope that more media attention on this issue will raise awareness on the situation and discourage people from harvesting wild toads but then again did doing that work for peyote conservation ?

Not really...

Last edited: 15 Jun 2021