Join our zoo community

A Trip to the Zoo Capital of Europe - February 2018

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Fallax, 4 Jan 2018.

1. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Current restrictions

Hopefully the closures won't affect you too much! I'll be visiting Berlin at the end of March so I'd appreciate any tips you pick up.

2. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I didn’t find the closures to have a major impact while I was there.

3. Dormitator

Brill, thanks!

4. agnmeln

Well, you’d definitely have to try very hard to be short of things to see at Berlin Zoo!

5. Dormitator

I think that's a fair point :D

6. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Currently at the airport. I am visiting Zoo Berlin tomorrow and Tierpark on Wednesday. I will take many photos and write reviews up once I get home or maybe each night. Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, they have been a great help :)

Brum, Mehdi, pachyderm pro and 2 others like this.
  7. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Current restrictions indicates better enclosures for lions, tigers and leopards. Perhaps these species do not need to be kept in the Zoo and the Tierpark.
    The current situation (according to ZTL) is as follows:
    Zoo: Barbary lion, lion, North Persian leopard
    Tierpark: Javan leopard; Sumatran, Malayan and Siberian tigers.
    Are some tigers moving from the Tierpark to the Zoo?

8. Fallax

I have returned from my trip. Expect reviews soon. However I would like to say some things quickly.

Both of the zoos were great and I am still deciding which one was better. I saw most of the rare animals I wanted to see, unfortunatley did not see the echidna but making sure my family did not give p on finding the kiwi may have been the most worthwhile zoo experience for me, as after about 5 minutes of waiting with no signs we saw 2 kiwis! Also, many of you were saying tierpark was impossible in 1 day but I pretty much got around everything and still had time to spare. In fact I left both zoos before closing time and was the first there on both days! (Then again some parts were closed such as the predator house and snake house). Another thing is that Berlin's pig house is the first zoo exhibit which has made me want to leave because of the smell, I genuinley felt sick. The new exhibits stand out immensley from the old ones and they are some of the best exhibits I have seen: World of Birds is one of my favourite all time exhibits now! One final note for this post: It feels so good to be able to say that I have now seen every species of bear :p

pachyderm pro, Brum and Giant Panda like this.
  9. agnmeln

Glad you had a good trip!

That’s pretty impressive, and quite remarkable! Although, you are young, so probably have much more energy than I do. I arrived at 9am and was exhausted by 2pm, yet had barely covered even half of the park!

We both left Berlin with this goal accomplished!

Fallax likes this.
  10. Fallax

Oh trust me, my legs were killing me. Not as bad as having to walk an hour after we left because we couldn't find a taxi!

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  11. agnmeln

Where did you stay in Berlin? Did you have far to travel?

12. Fallax

I stayed near the centre of Berlin. The zoo was not too far but Tierpark was a long way to go.

13. agnmeln

I stayed centrally too, at the Park Inn Alexanderplatz - it was just under half an hour to Berlin Zoo by train and just over half an hour to Berlin Tierpark by train - and I had all the convenience of the shops and the restaurants close by. I would definitely stay there again next time.