Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Adelaide-Monarto Transfers

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 28 Apr 2006.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Here i will tell y'all what animals they are transfering, and try to tell you when it happened/s.

So,

4 male RT Lemurs ahve gone up to Monarto

5 Axis Deer to Monarto

2 Black and White Colobus Monkeys Have come down to Adelaide

(and just to let yas all now, a Siamang has come from New Zealand, and a pair of Bleeding Heart Pigeons have come down for the new african aviary)

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

but bleeding heart pigeons come from the philippines!!!!?

do you know if adelaide will be geting females for the colobus or will they just be holding these surplus males? i believe perth are trying to source some new breeder animals from OS....

3. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i hope we get more coloubus in oz aswell, these are great animals!!!!!!!
    so who has them, melbourne , perth monarto, camberra... who else and i also heard that most zoos with them are sourcing new animals aswell

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

THYe Bleeding Hearts will only be in tehy AFrican until the asian is finished, they will be housed with lorikeets finches and Nicobar Pigeons, dunno about the Colobus

5. patrick

colobus are housed at just those zoos you mention Zoo_Boy. at present though adelaide and perth are not breeding their animals. melbourne has a breeding group and the national zoo has a breeding pair and their offspring. unfortunately our zoos have decide to interbreed the subspecies as originally melbourne and perth sourced two seperate races....

6. Zoo_Boy

thts a shame really, and thnx pat for tht info, they really are beautiful animals pat, i stood for ages at camberra zoo watching them jump around, really kool!

7. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Well is the any we could import?

8. patrick

as i said earlier the zoos are planning an import of fresh colobus genes. however i'm not sure if the new specimens will represent guereza, kikuyu or unknown or hybrid balck and white colobus.

funny you saw them jumping around at the national zoo Zoo_Boy - they would have to be the most inactive monkeys at melbourne zoo!!!

Last edited: 1 May 2006
  9. patrick

melbournes colobus exhibit

though the colobus in melbourne have always been housed in the largest enclosure within the arboral primates exhibit, for years i wondered why the keepers had not installed structures so that the colobus could access one tree from another - without having to decend to the ground. essentially you would find each colobus occupying a fork in a different dead tree. not a great deal of interaction as they all seemed to just sit there, hunched over with those magnificent pelts on display. the last time i visited, the zoo had placed a lot of fire hoses and ropes amongst them to give them more to climb on, but i didn't notice much difference behavioural at that particular time. it supprised me that it took them so long to do this though. the tree-top monkeys and apes exhibit is earmarked for eventual demolishion, but i can't see it happening in the immediate future as it houses some 7 or so different species of primate that will need new exhibits or temporary housing elesewhere whilst it is being demolished.

in the meantime the zoo should consider removing the wire mesh around the colobus exhibit - replacing it with cheap wire fencing with a strip of sheet metal around the rim (stopping the primates from climbing out) and installing tall poles within the enclosure that have an o-line like connection into the gorilla exhibit. two non-connected poles (but within colobus jumping distance)within the gorilla rainforest could be used to stop the younger gorillas from climbing out and into the colobus exhibit and provide the monkeys with a "safe zone" in case the mischievous gorillas pester them too much.

just an idea - but it would be a relatively inexpensive way of testing if the two species will get along at melbourne. if so, the zoo could consider a more permanent design. colobus and de brazza's guenon interact in the wild also and should the zoo install a few additional dead trees in the rainforest - i see no reason why the enclosure wouldn't be big enough for everyone...

10. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

One of the colobus has died, and there are now 2 waterbuck at monarto from weribee, they will eventually be with teh zebras, giraffe and eland!

Now the zoos are saying the lemurs are from NZ, must be to join the female

2 female colobus came from perth for breeding?, The older male died, who was already at Adel

11. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I am going to the zoo tomorrow so i will take pic of the colobus if they are out! ad get some info on what ever i can

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Ben ask about the new female Bongo, thanks

13. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

SHes at Dubbo, the one at Monarto Died, i still dont knwo where she came fom, the new ones coming from WPZ i think

14. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Shes beautiful, she will look great in the new exhibit

15. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Not really a transfer but news,

THere are plans in teh works to move our lone male binturong Perak (sp) inside to the nocturnal house, but it all seems weird the nocturnal house is all aussies and is very dry, like in the air, esspecially behind the scenes

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

With the large range type animals at Monarto breeding so well its looking really good for when some of the Rarer type of Antelopes are imported like the species listed on the ARAZPA website, such as the Sable antelope, with that much space and ideal condstions they should breed like rabbits. I saw on ISIS that they have more than 20 Giraffe, also heard they have 6 babies on the ground. wow.

17. Zoo_Boy

Yea monarto's giraffe breed like rabbit's, they r holding all further breeding, to maintain genetic diversity, they do have a few more adult males they can introduce tht are unrelated

18. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

duno much about monarto i will find out,

AND Zoo_Boy I SENT THE PACKAGE

19. Zoo_Boy

lol u roc ben still we have to find it on google earth

20. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Lol, well the package is just somme flyers, dw,

well teh colobus were not out, they have been delayed because some of the trees in the exhibit are getting on the fence size, so neting may be put over the whole exhibit