Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide News 2014

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Sunbear12, 9 Jan 2014.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are - I was there a couple of weeks ago and they were very active. Don't miss the baby White-cheeked Gibbon on the island opposite the langurs either!

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Twin golden lion tamarins born. Since 1980 Adelaide has bred 67 GLT!

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

A very impressive feat. Basically two a year for the last 34 years. :cool:

But where are they all? There are only something like 25 GLTs in the region, do many get sent back to Europe/USA?

4. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Elaine Bensted (CEO of the zoo) has announced that the next development at Adelaide Zoo will be a nature play space. With this quote appearing in an article published today.

I certainly struggle to see why the zoo needs a playground when they have a range of empty enclosures including a massive space across from the reptile house. I'll hold off my judgment though till I see the finished product.

The entire article can be seen here-No Cookies | The Advertiser

5. Jabiru96

Last edited: 30 Oct 2014
  6. Jabiru96

7. Jabiru96

8. Jabiru96

Female Sumatran orang-utan Puspa is finally on display due to the impending birth of Karta's baby (Puspa is kept separate from Kluet and Karta).

9. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They could probably do with a second enclosure- I imagine after living in her own space at Perth, Adelaide's enclosure feels like 'Karta's patch'. I find it interesting that she's only choosing to use the enclosure now that Kluet and Karta are out the back semi-permanently.

10. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Puspa is a particularly antisocial orang so it will be interesting to see how they manage the three individuals.

11. Jabiru96

Funny thing is that Adelaide brought her from Perth in order to teach Karta how to successfully raise offspring (or something to that affect) when, from what I have heard, Puspa hasn't been the best mother either! :D

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think adult females learn anything from seeing other females with infants, though presumably Karta has not seen Puspa with an infant anyway?:confused: If I were them I would be preparing to remove the infant if need be, knowing Karta's previous history.

13. Sunbear12

No at this point Puspa has not bred at Adelaide so that would not have helped. I believe Puspa was brought in as Kluet's genetics are seen to be valuable but the zoo does not want to separate Kluet from Karta as the pair have a very strong bond.

In regards to her history the zoo has discovered it was not mismothering but small nipples that meant Karta could not raise her first few infants. Last time she got very unlucky in that the infant came out with the umbilical cord round its neck and never took a breath.

This time round the zoo is planning to feed the baby while it remains with Karta. This was already planned to be used with the last birth. I believe though that this is Karta's last chance and if it doesn't work out she will not breed and Puspa may be mated with Kluet instead.

If you can get your hands on it their is a very good documentary following the last birth called Great Expectations. Most of what I have written above is a summary of this documentary.

14. marmolady

To me Puspa always seemed an odd choice to bring over to attempt to breed with Kluet, considering relatively old and has only successful had one infant (that I'm aware of?). I would have thought one of Perth's younger females would have made more sense, especially is Kluet is considered genetically valuable to the region.
    Accounts of Karta's second most recent attempt at raising an infant sound like her mothering skills were not the issue, but that the infant had not fed, despite apparently suckling. This led to the revelation that Karta's anatomy may be the issue.

15. Jabiru96

That must have felt so dis-heartening for the keepers, especially as they had plans in place in order to directly feed the infant and were hopeful that Karta could finally successfully raise a baby at Adelaide. Hopefully this time around everything goes to plan!

16. Sunbear12

In regards to Puspas age I found here- Chimpanzee Information: Puspa the Orangutan joins the Adelaide Zoo to be with Kluet the Orangutan, that she is about 38 and found here- The Origin of Menopause: Why Do Women Outlive Fertility? - Scientific American, that orang-utans stop falling pregnant at a similar age to humans. As such she might have a couple more years but they will have to do it soon.

Also I hope it goes well for her too. The keepers reactions were bad but watching Karta brought a tear to your eye. She wouldn't let go for 5 days or so, so fingers crossed for a good birth this time.

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Indicates Karta does at least have a strong maternal instinct, which I previously thought wasn't the case. The 'small nipples' issue may not be an actual physical defect, rather that an infant has never successfully suckled from her, allowing them to stretch- of course I don't know that as fact though. I too hope they can finally be successful with her this time.

re Puspa. Its possible Perth let her go, as being the female they least wanted to keep.;) At 38 she could have several years of breeding life left to her still. Gina at Jersey(Kluet's mother) was still breeding in her forties but was discovered to be menopausal shortly before she died earlier this year.

When was Puspa's previous infant born?

18. marmolady

I believe Puspa's only offspring is Sekara, unfortunately I can't for the life of me find her age.

19. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agreed that Puspa was the female that Perth felt they could afford to move on - space being an issue. However probably not the ideal individual to kickstart Adelaide's breeding program. Karta should be considered a lost cause, despite the unfortunate situation last time. How many offspring has she lost now? Almost certainly a product of her hand-raising, yet people are suggesting that should Karta conceive again that her offspring is also hand-raised. It would be interesting to know if Karta's genetics are well represented globally (I believe that she was from the US).

20. marmolady

As far as I know Karta has one full sister in Dever Zoo, Nias, who had the same issue with being unable to feed properly due to nipple size. Nias has a daughter, Hesty, who was raised by her mother whilst being fed by keepers.

Karta has one surviving daughter, Karen, at San Diego, who I believe is a result of in-breeding and so not bred from herself. Any other relatives I do not know of.