Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide Zoo Updates 24th December 2010

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Electus Parrot, 24 Dec 2010.

1. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

Today I visited Adelaide Zoo and I would like to share some information on recent news (October, November and December).

The Children's zoo is being moved towards the entrance along the fence from the entrance along where the food preparation rooms, storerooms and maintenance areas. This area will also be used for other exhibits. The staff areas are going to be moved where the childrens zoo is now.

The dwarf mongooses were going to be a species bred at Adelaide Zoo but due to their current age they are unable to breed and while have to be phased out as their is currently no chance of importation.

A new cafe at the entrance is set to open on Boxing Day.

Animals at the zoo:

Mammals:
    Five pygmy marmosets have been obtained by the zoo (2 males and 3 females), bringing the zoo's populatuion to 6. 3 of them are on display in the tamarin house.
    A female mandrill was born in late October and is on display with the mandrill family.
    New male Hamandryas baboon is on display with the rest of the group.
    The fennec fox pair have moved into a new exhibit (possibly to make space for an import of fennec foxes due in the near future).

Birds:
    A satin bowerbird is on display in the Australian rainforest walk-through aviary.
    The razor-billed curassow has been moved from the sun conure aviary and into a neighbouring aviary as the cotton-top tamarins have been causing it trouble. A pair of yellow-crowned amazons have moved into the aviary with it.
    Pheasant coucal moved into the Asian walk-through aviary.
    3 new cockatiels have been obtained to join the existing pair. One of these is a lutino.
    A number of red-faced Parrotfinches have been obtained and have moved into the palm cockatoo aviary (I counted 6 of the parrotfinches).
    A number of red-cheeked cordon-bleus have moved into the African grassland aviary.
    A central red-tailed black cockatoo has moved into the Australian wetlands aviary.
    The dusky woodswalloow has moved into the bush toilet aviary.
    Bird births:
    Golden pheasant
    Palm cockatoo
    Dusky lories
    Most species of finch (including orange-breasted avadavit, red avadavit, red-browed finch, gouldian finch, star finch, diamond firetail finch, chestnut-breasted finch, red-billed firefinch, common waxbill and java sparrow).
    Pied honeyeaters
    White-browed woodswallow
    Buff-banded rail
    White-breasted ground dove
    Red fody (Madagascar weaver)
    Red bishop
    Southern figbird

Reptiles:
    The juvenile Fiji banded iguanas are soon to go on display in the reptile house.
    The small red eyelash palm pitviper has been swapped with two larger eyelash palm pitvipers, one green and one yellow.
    A female rough-scaled python has been obtained to pair up with one of the zoos two males.
    The Gippsland water dragons and some Macquarie turtles and Eastern long-necked turtles have moved into one of the old beaver enclosures.
    Two Chinese three-striped box turtles have moved into the old Murray cod enclosure along with four large striped archerfish.

That was most of the information I was able to obtain. Have a Merry Christmas!

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thank you for the nice review, was there any news about the Dusky Langers?

3. Electus Parrot

Not really, a while back there was talk of acquiring a new female from Europe but I'm not sure if that fell through or not.

4. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

How many hamadryas baboons does Adelaide have now?

5. Electus Parrot

6, 2 males and 4 females. They used to have eight but the oldest male died and two younger males were sent to Auckland Zoo.

6. Jabiru96

Thanks for that. Are they meant to be a breeding group or are the males castrated as I have never heard from a birth from there, and the only zoo in Aus to have bred them within 5 years is Alma Park

7. Electus Parrot

Adelaide has bred them in the past, quite a few actually especially between 1990-2000 or so. The males are not castrated and there is hope that they will breed in the near future.

8. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

I'm trying to visualise this area but i can't remember where it is. What animal exhibits is it between/near?

Where is the new exhibit?

9. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm sure Perth has bred them during this period, and would be surprised that Melbourne wasn't breeding from their group.

10. Jabiru96

This I according to Alma Park's website and I think it is true. Melbourne's males are all castrated (if I remember correctly) but I am not too sure how many Perth has

11. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Funny if this true about Melbourne's animals as a large proportion of the group were imported from Holland +10 years ago, thus introducing unrelated stock. Hamadryas seem to be the choice large monkey species (macaques on the way out, colobines and mandrills not really doing much) in the region, but little interest in breeding them?

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A recipe for disaster.
    (Rotting Fruit for Fresh Vegetables ...) :(

13. Electus Parrot

In response to Lou's questions:
    The Children's Zoo will be situated across from the reptile house, barbary sheep and the Aldabra giant tortoise.
    The new fennec fox exhibit is the old red panda enclosure and is situated right next to the other fennec fox exhibit, across from the lions.

Also, Perth Zoo did breed their baboons around three years ago.

Also, the new Chinese three-striped box turtle are a breeding pair.

14. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

Thankyou.

:)

15. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

Adelaide Zoo's troop of Lion-tailed macaques have moved to Rockhampton Zoo.

And the new male baboon at Adelaide (mentioned earlier in the thread) is from Rockhampton.

:)

16. Electus Parrot

Thanks Lou, I noticed the lion-tailed macaques not at the zoo so I was wondering where they went.

17. Electus Parrot

Got some more news the other day about the mandrills:
    The behind the scenes pair have been moved to another facility.
    Two female mandrills are possibly pregnant, one maybe due about February/March.

18. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

Exciting news about the pregnancies.

Not sure about which new facility the pair have been moved to. Melbourne Zoo is the most likely. Mogo don't plan to acquire in the short term and National Z&A list them as under consideration.

Though it may have been an international transfer.

19. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

please be Taronga. they would look great in the de brazzi exhibit.;)

20. Electus Parrot

I was thinking Melbourne or National Zoo Canberra but its anyones guess really.

Also, the zoo has obtained 6 (2.4) Lake Eyre dragons, but I'm not sure where from.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2011