Join our zoo community

Advice for Paris

Discussion in 'France' started by tigris115, 10 Feb 2017.

1. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So I'm spending my spring break in Paris with my family and I was wondering what attractions I should go to.

I'm thinking of the following things
    The natural history museum
    Menagerie in Jardin
    Paris Zoological park

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Galeries d'Anatomie comparée et de Paléontologie

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Eiffeltower, Louvre, Sacré-coeur, Notre-Dame....:);)

Okay, seriously: Another zoological attraction might be L'aquarium de Paris at Trocadero, Sea Life Paris at Val d'Europe (close to Disneyland Paris - although I personally don't like "McSea"), Aquarium de la Porte Dorée (close to Paris Zoo at Vincennes) or Zoo du Bois d'Atilly at Ozoir-la-Ferrière, a small zoo about 25 km outside of Paris.

4. tigris115

Thanks guys. Though I'm split as to whether or not I should go to the Paris Zoological Park or the Menagerie.

5. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

These are the words of an amateur for visiting both is essential. It would be an injustice to miss one.

The Aquarium de la Porte Dorée is interesting from an historical perspective as is the Jardin d'Acclimatation in the Bois de Boulogne - though there are very few animals there now.

I agree with Batto that the Galeries d'Anatomie is worthy of a visit. It is breath-taking.

Giant Panda, zoogiraffe and Batto like this.
  6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The menagerie is one of the oldest zoos in the world and in terms of zoo history one of the best preserved add to that an interesting collection ;). The Vincennes Zoo is almost the opposite being almost built from scratch a few years ago. Both zoos are not very big and on 1 day you should be able to do both, if you arrive on time in Vincennes to beat the crowds ;).

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I concur with both “Paradoxurus” and “Batto” that, whilst in Paris, you should definitely see the Galerie de Paléontologie et d'Anatomie Comparée.

You should certainly visit the main natural history museum (La Grande Galerie de l’Evolution) too; of special note in this museum is the gallery of extinct and endangered species.

Others have mentioned elsewhere on ZooChat that this gallery includes the kouprey (which was at Vincennes Zoo in the 1930s) but, frustratingly, this specimen has never been on display on any of my visits. However, there are plenty of other interesting exhibits including a mounted quagga, blaubok and thylacine. (The blaubok is the highlight for me; the only other mounted blaubok that I have ever seen is in the one in the museum at Leiden.)

It is worth adding that both of these places are very close to the Jardin des Plantes Menagerie so, if time is limited, it would be very easy to see all three on one day.

8. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited in May 2016. The Menagerie, Vincennes, Porte Doreé and The Galeries d'Anatomie comparée et de Paléontologie.
    Nowhere disappointed my expectations.

9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Menagerie is a must loved it, not an all day attraction but close to other Paris sights to combine.

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Le Menagerie is only worth it for the history; as a zoo it is not very good IMO. I assume you are staying in the city without a car. Obviously tons of museums and cultural sites. If you do have time to go outside the city, Le Parc Des Felins is an hour east and is my favorite zoo on planet Earth.

11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I think that everyone seriously interested in zoos should endeavour to visit the Jardin des Plantes with its historic Menagerie (and the associated museums) at least once; it is a fascinating place.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2017
  12. KEEPER

@Arizona Docent: IMO Parc des Felins have too much bars/fences for to see and photography the animals. All in all still very good collection of felids.

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have no problem photographing through the fences (with an SLR and telephoto lens). I suppose if you have a pocket camera or cell phone the fences might be a problem. There are some adjustments in recent years for better viewing. The neighboring exhibits for fishing cat and jungle cat both had new glass windows added on my last visit. The massive new white tiger habitat has a long open deck with no fence or glass in front. The white lions and the cheetahs near them have an elevated platform also. The cheetahs at the front of the park recently had an open boardwalk added inside their exhibit. The golden cats have additional exhibits, the last of which has a sheltered viewing area with glass. The sand cats have an all glass indoor viewing area. The clouded leopard has always had a glass viewing area as does the neighboring Pallas cat and as does the large ocelot exhibit.

14. KEEPER

I was here the past year. And I have an (a maybe few old from 2008) Olympus E-510 DSLR. ;)

I.E:
    Across Glass:

[​IMG]

Across wire mesh (two) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

taken with 70-300 mm lens (equal to 140-600 mm in 35 mm film camera) Photos without cut-out or retouching.

15. tigris115

So now that I'm in the City of Lights, me and my mom have decided to do the main zoo and menagerie on Monday. Any advice for what we can expect?

16. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most of the interpretive signs will likely be in French.

I hope that you enjoy the zoos. Any reviews that you have of them will be appreciated.

17. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

I liked the CineAqua near Eiffel Tower principally because Med species are absent(?) in collections where I live though species like Mediterranean morays, serranids and barracuda ought all to be of interest.

18. tigris115

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm slightly dissapointed that elephants aren't in the new Vincennes zoo

19. tigris115

Went to the Jardin. Loved it there. Though the orangutan exhibit and the leopards were a bit depressing.

20. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is a useful thread.

Personally, I've spent quite a bit of time off in Paris, but never visited any of the zoos there. I will have to put that right.