Join our zoo community

Advice please!

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Theloderma, 12 Jun 2016.

1. Theloderma

Theloderma Active Member

I'm planning a short trip to Prague and Plzen in July and was hoping for a bit of logistical advice from folks that know the cities and the zoos. The Prague side of things should be straightforward enough but I wonder if anyone could give me some details on Plzen? Will be arriving in Plzen by train from Prague - what's the best way to get to the zoo? Is it walkable or is the public transport system a better choice? I believe there is also a separate terrarium in Plzen away from the main zoo - how easy is that to get to from the zoo? I've seen everything on a map so in theory know what's where but any advice from those that have 'done the double' before would be gratefully received.
    Cheers :)

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I think it's about a 45 minute walk from the rail station to the zoo. A taxi wouldn't be hugely expensive, so whether you walk, or get a cab, will depend on how lazy / well-off you're feeling. I'd want the maximum possible time in the zoo, and I'm pretty idle, so it'd be a cab for me!

The terrarium is en route from the station to the zoo, pretty much, and is very nice - but pretty tiny. You could look at the whole place in two minutes, but, of course, if you did it properly it'd take much longer. The zoo will certainly fill a day, so, if time is finite, I would concentrate on that; if you have more time, however, the terrarium is certainly worth seeing.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, if you can get to the zoo early, it's worth heading straight to the nocturnal house, where the lights are up for the first 30 minutes or so of the day.