Join our zoo community

Africa Alive! Africa Alive

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Kifaru Bwana, 13 Aug 2007.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was surprised when I saw these cages- very old fashioned from the previous administration. Yet they have remained still housing animals when the cost of replacing them would be minimal compared to what they've spent on their other 'large animal' exhibits. But this is such a common situation.:(

2. Pertinax

I was confusing them with South Lakes. Hamadryas would work well at AA too- I do think this is the sort of primate(or Colobus perhaps?) they should be keeping, rather than more delicate species.

3. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

well the miracle of the Africa alive revolving door as far as primate species goes has already gone through a group of eastern colobus, hopefully they were just sent to banham and didn't die, out of all the monkeys they've had I would have expected them to have been okay. Surely King colobus are going to fare less well, but obviously I hope not.

4. Pertinax

Maybe they were moved back to Banham (which has a group anyway). B/W Colobus breed like flies in most zoos (even Twycross have bred enormous numbers- in distinct contrast to their 'failing' guenon species...) so I'd be surprised if AA lost theirs. King Colobus are a bit more delicate I think- so I agree they are maybe not the best choice for AA.

5. johnstoni

it kind of begs the question though as to why....they only ever had about 3 or four easterns, Banham has always had a large breeding group, unless my memory is hazy and they (and the de brazza pair) were succeeded by rarer hamlyn's and l'hoest's monkeys since I last saw the park in 1999, in which case they would have just been held temporarily.

6. Pertinax

To my knowledge, the Hamlyns Owl faced were always at Banham. They were a nice little group of 4 animals (a pair or a trio + 1/2 young) until they suddenly disappeared.

There were 4 De Brazza at Kessingland- I never saw these at Banham. They too have since disappeared.

L'Hoests- only at Kessingland too.

Colobus- maybe Kessingland's were a splinter group from Banham's? Banham group has been there a long time- nowadays it has an open enclosure(pix on the gallery) but from that it looks very much like a lawn with some climbing apparatus in the middle.

7. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i think Marwells Last rhino baby went to Flamingoland im sure thats where the other one went to might be wrong tho

8. johnstoni

Ok, it was just a guess based on the fact that ISIS showed 3.2 at AA for a while, at the same point as marwell went back down to 1.2 I am pretty sure flamingoland already had 2.0 before the last calf left Marwell, maybe it was a previous calf that Flamingoland acquired...

9. SWA

SWA Well-Known Member

Both the male rhinos born at Marwell did go to Flamingoland. Flamingoland is only a 'holding' zoo for Rhino, so both would have moved on. I am am fairly sure that the 1st then moved on within Europe, but not to Africa Alive. I am not sure about the second.

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. Colchester-dude

Colchester-dude Active Member

Replying to your earlier message Kifaru Bwana,

I visited Africa Alive around a week ago and took the Safari experience through the 'Plains of Africa' and there were only three White Rhinos one male and two females.

Does anyone know where the 'new' rhinos moved to from Africa Alive?

12. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

Also, the female Somali Wild Ass at Africa Alive has recently given birth to a healthy young colt!

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In 2007 a male White Rhino named Kifaru was moved from Flamingo Land to Africa Alive! His companion at Flamingo Land went to a zoo in Sweden. Flamingo Land then got 2 more males from Whispnade and Marwell. Both Kifaru and the male that is now in Sweden were born at Marwell.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  14. Colchester-dude

Colchester-dude Active Member

Thanks because they the keepers at Africa Alive! only showed me three

Cheers Stripes:D

15. pattrunk

pattrunk Member

Regarding your comment do you know that AA bred their king colobus very sucessfully this year??

16. johnstoni

It is promising news. As with so many primate groups, the key is not losing breeding animals before a large group is established. Not to be too pessimistic - this is definitely progress....

17. Nisha

As posted on the Knowsley thread, White Rhino bull "Bud" should of arrived today from Knowsley Safari Park. He was the breeding male up there but now his daughter is mature and the park have a younger bull ready to take his place.

18. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

19. Nisha

White Rhino bull, Kifaru was moved to Augsburg Zoo (Germany) on Wednesday 28th July on an EEP reccomendation. He was born at Marwell in 2000 (or there abouts) and went with his half brother to Flamingo Land in 2002 to form the parks first batchelor rhino herd. In 2007 his half brother was moved to Sweden and Kifaru went to Africa Alive. He is said to of arrived safely and settled well after his long journey. Hopefully he will breed in the future :)

20. Pertinax

No I didn't but I do now...;) So I hope they can build a group successfully from this initial stock.