Join our zoo community

African Elephant

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Ara, 14 Jul 2007.

1. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think banning her from a city will solve anything.. . I'm pretty confident the circus will let her go if they achieve the $400,000 they have spent on her. They have already started saving money to recover this.

An article from dunedin

Dunedin turns elephant away - national | Stuff.co.nz

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Ban the circus elephant, says protester | Stuff.co.nz

3. Jarkari

I was just wondering. There has been alot of talk about bringing Jumbo to Australia and hopefully (if they would take her ) sending her to TWPZ. Now the cost to the zoo would be a near $150,000 each year on top of the other five elephants they keep. They took on Arna and Gigi just a few years ago and this cost them $25,000 each year in food alone. plus the additional staff that are required to handle the extra workload. However IF TWPZ was interested in taking her on does any one know if it is even possible to import her.

Would AQIS allow her import from New Zealand in the first place???

4. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

AFAIK, the circus is in complete control over Jumbo's future and have no intention of letting her go... Unless the government shows she is being mis-treated (in the legal sense not moral) there is nothing anyone can do about it...

5. Jarkari

The circus is actually looking at their options. They are happy to send her to a new home when one suitable can be found. They offered her to Auckland, but as they wish to stay in the breeding program this is not an option.

6. Jarkari

This is what annoys me with SAFE campaigning against her being there. they protest and protest which in my opinion causes stress to all of the animals and then when it comes down to it they are all talk. The circus has said if a suitable home can be found they will do something to help her. But SAFE has nothing. I know how most people here feel about african elephants but the circus isn't in a situation to do anything. I think you will find that nobody wanted her (that could afford to look after her) so loritz took her on. They only planned to keep her temporarily.

7. NZ Jeremy

Hmmm, they changed their tune on that one...

8. Jarkari

The Circus?? It appears bthat it was never their intention to keep her permanently but to provide her with a home for the duration of their out of africa show, during it's tour funds are being saved to find her a new home. They spent half a million dollars on her. They are doing the best they can. I think if SAFE should stop talking and protesting and start acting.

9. NZ Jeremy

I think we are thinking of a different elephant then mate...

10. Jarkari

If you read articles there are many references to the fact that they have a fund set up to help fund her retirement and that has been the case for a while. If Loritz didn't buy her who knows where she would be.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree with you on this one.

Those wishing for her relocation away from the circus:
    A) only protest, protest and protest and yes create undue stress on everyone involved including the elephant herself (e.g. legally trying to endanger her future).
    B) have no clue as to proper management and husbandry of elephants in the first place (.. other than an emotional bonding with Free Willy style elephant cuddlyness)
    C) create a racket where in all fairness there seems none as the circus has put all sorts of procedures and mechanisms in place to have her in the best of animal welfare practice ... even to the point of creating a retirement welfare fund
    C) have no viable alternative for her to relocate to (e.g. the Auckland suggestion is just preposterous)
    D) provide no funding base to foot the elephant's animal welfare concerns should she be relocated (it is always others that are supposed to come and cough up the cash for a transfer)

I just find all this animal welfare stuff ... a bit much and rich
    (alas I am afraid strong-minded folk will again find this an excuse to rant an rave over ... :eek: a mous!!! and an elephant :D)

12. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone doesn't know the latest on Jumbo, she is now at Franklin zoo, along with her former owner who looks after her. She has her own enclosure, not sure how big it is but still better than a trailer and a chain around her foot, and plenty of care. No reson why she shouldnt' live another 20 years.

13. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan Member

She is at Franklin Zoo, and seems very happy there, with mud wallows, sand piles, lots of tasty browse and many stimulating enrichments.

However, her former "owner" is NOT there. She is being cared for by a number of keepers.

14. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are they still planning on sending her to the US?

15. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, when I visited the owner was there, and told me he had been retained as the keeper since he was the only one who could handle the animal.

Ive since visited several times and been told by the Zoo director that the former owner lives nearby, and often visits, however has no control or direct ocntact with the elephant.

the Elephant herself is getting on well with the keepers assigned to look after her, and on my last visit there were two elephant experts from Australia at the zoo checking her out and advising on training and de-circusing her.

Franklin also has a great lion enclosure, but only one lion left. They ar elooking at getting a couple more from Aus possibly.

16. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Oxy-*****?

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

a recent post from the Franklin Zoo website about Jumbo, from 19 May
    Jumbo the elephant enjoying her retirement at Franklin Zoo

18. torie

torie Well-Known Member

well thats all a load of PR bull isnt it! why would you build such a state of the art barn if you are looking to send the elie away!

and im pretty sure that as a circus elephant she needs no help with crate training....

19. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very perceptive, torie.

But when you are fishing for money you have to throw out the sort of bait the suckers will go for.

Many years ago a senior RSPCA bloke in Victoria told me that if he could get a good anti-circus story on the TV evening news it would be worth at least $5000 in donations - and that was 20 years ago.

Nothing's changed except the figures.

20. Jarkari

Also the Sanctuary they have were originally talking about sending her to only keep cows and use primarily FC. Unless those plans have changed.

I was also going to comment on the fact that it seemed to be a fairly fancy barn for something that's only going to be used for 12 months.