Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo African Savannah and Congo Forest development plans

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 16 Aug 2017.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I disagree, okapi are one of the megastars of the zoo world, a striking looking animal with an incredible back story and important conservation story.
    Factor into that the ambition of the so-called smaller collections (Darling downs, Altina etc) along with the "majors", i think there would be great interest in exhibiting okapi, if all parties can be brought together to import in decent numbers, to kick off such a breeding programme.

ZooBoyNZ and marmolady like this.
  2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had said is other posts I really hope Okapi will make it to Australia but only if enough of them are here to form a breeding program among our zoos. I dont recall saying Okapi are not the megastars of the zoo world a fact that I know is true as I have seen enough of them in my time

3. kiang

Never said you did or didn't.............

4. Zorro

Why state a fact that everyone would know?

5. kiang

It wasn't for YOUR benefit alone, it was a statement as part of a post, not a poke

6. Zorro

Cool no worries!

7. Zorro

Just a further note about resent trends at Taronga zoo, I stumbled across a Facebook site a week ago about zoo visitors who are unhappy with the resent trends and direction of Taronga zoo I believe there were about 8,500+ people liking the site. I had no idea there were that many people that feel the same about this issue, a little surprising maybe!

8. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes. I could imagine okapis at, say, Taronga, Dubbo, Adelaide, Melbourne, Werribee, Mogo, Altina, Darling Downs, Canberra... and that's only Australia, not New Zealand. Clearly space for 25-30 animals *if* some can be sourced initially. That's the bigger question.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Zorro

I believe space is not a problem its the commitment by Taronga zoo to keep with a species "long term" which appears to be a problem for them

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The list of exotic species that have gone in, then out of favour with Aust zoos is almost endless - dholes, fishing cats, golden cats, clouded leopards, persian leopards, de brazzas (possibly back in favour), bongo, malayan tapir... crazy.

11. Zorro

I agree tetrapod I believe there would be a whole lot more if one sat back and thought about it its kind of sad really. So glad out regional zoos are picking up where some of the major zoos have dropped the ball.

12. Zorro

Just to add Maned Wolfs were also given the boot from TWPZ only to be picked up by Altina who have bred 26 (I believe) with quite a few going to other collections around the country also imported some new bloodlines for their breeding program. Onagers were a species well suited to Australian collections and having bred well at TWPZ yet another species being slowly phased out as they die, shame they could not have been taken to another collection rather than allowed this endangered species go to waste but I guess the smaller zoos can only do so much on a limited income unlike the big guys! South American Tapirs are down to four but appear now to old for breeding yet another species lost?

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

has one died recently?

14. Zorro

Just on that note of species that were phased out of Aussie collections I seem to remember Adelaide zoo having a number of species of Tamarins not seen in other Aussie collections like Black and Black head lion Tamarins and possible pieds from what I recall doing well with them only to again disappear

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe there is still a higher demand for Okapi in European zoos than the supply, and no new holders for the species will be allocated for a time. So I think its unlikely that several would become available to create a potentially viable population in Australia, unless they were sourced somehow direct from Africa.

How many zoos still have Mandrills in Australia/ how many animals?

16. Zorro

The odds are they will never get here I would be shocked if it did happen. Mandrills are another species in decline in oz with very few still here atm!

Pertinax likes this.
  17. Chlidonias

there should be eight animals (1.7) at three zoos. The only male is at Adelaide.

Pertinax likes this.
  18. tetrapod

Adelaide did have Black Lion Tamarins which failed to breed (I if I recall correctly), but not Golden-headed Lion (which I assume the spp you meant) nor Pied tamarin.

19. tetrapod

A disappointing shame that a brilliantly charismatic endangered spp that fits into many masterplans is slowly being lost. Definitely a spp for one of the small progressive zoos to pick up and run with...

20. Chlidonias

they bred at least once. I don't know what happened to them though.