Join our zoo community

AIZA and improving ex-situ/Native species conservation programs.

Discussion in 'Spain' started by SivatheriumGuy, 17 Nov 2020.

1. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I've been discussing with @Kifaru Bwana in the Jerez zoo thread, we thought that a discussion topic about the AIZA, in general, would be a good idea. I didn't know where to open this thread since the AIZA includes Spanish and Portuguese zoos, but since most of the members are Spanish based parks I thought this was the best place to do so. Really hoping to hear everyone's opinions. :)

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Estimado @Sivatherium, nice to see you open the thread. I am sure there is much to be said about zoos in the Iberian Peninsula, which includes both countries Espagna and Portugal.

AIZA is the governing body and regional zoo association working within the Iberian Peninsula. Traditionally, Mediterranean zoos have been smaller in size than their more northerly counterparts in NW Europe or the United Kingdom. France has always been somewhat intermediate, but has over the last decade made an enormous leap forward into the modern zoo community.

It is interesting to learn how this has affected zoos in Spain and Portugal and how these are developing. Perhaps our Iberian compadres can give a short overview what zoos are on offer in both countries to start with!

SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  3. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have to agree with you on your claims. I've always felt like Iberian zoos have had a disconnect from "mainland" European zoological institutions, taking into account that everything from the exhibit design to the animal collections gives a "regional feel" to each park. I've visited zoological institutions of three countries (France (Beauval, Labenne, Arcachon,...), the UK (Just London) and Spain) and I can certainly say that they have very notorious between each other.