Join our zoo community

Akron Zoo Akron Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2018.

1. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has acquired a pair of musk deers. They arrived several months ago. I have not other details. I do not know when they will debut or where they will go at the zoo.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  2. ZebraDude95

ZebraDude95 Active Member 5+ year member

Do you think they might replace the sika deer?

3. TigerValley98

I am not sure. I would hate to see the zoo get rid of our only deer species since the zoo no longer has barking deer. They could be for Wild Asia. I am unsure about the sika deer exhibit because they have a tendency to be very nervous. There is not a lot of privacy because that back corner has paths on both sides. They can be easily spooked from what I understand.

4. TigerValley98

5. TigerValley98

6. TigerValley98

7. TigerValley98

It appears the zoo is looking for a new home for Cleatus the Guinea hog. Since Farmland will be renovated to merge into Pride of Africa, it is not a surprise. It does make me wonder if a “wilder” species is coming in the exhibit area.

8. TigerValley98

The current Farmland will be removed. I have heard the goats and probably sheep will go where the current train area is currently located.

9. ZebraDude95

ZebraDude95 Active Member 5+ year member

I hope Cleatus finds a nice, new home. I’ve never met him, but I’m sure he’s a wonderful pig.

10. TigerValley98

He is a wonderful hog. How many hogs could tolerate living next door to coyotes? It could be a more intesting year than I thought. Especially if the goats and sheep move down to the barn for a while. I thought that area would be redressed, but they are getting new areas instead. I wonder what will go there. Maybe the new restrooms? I hope we get another species of pig (wild or domesticated). The zoo has a history with pigs. I miss Victory. She was an Ossabow Island hog that survived, but was severely burned in a fire in the old contact area that was where Zoo Gardens is now located. She died of cancer just before the current contact area was rebranded and renovated into Farmland in 2011.

Interesting Note: The zoo’s Conservation Carousel was originally going to go where the train is located.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. TigerValley98

Trees have been marked in Tiger Valley.

Porkfish are living with the bamboo sharks in Komodo Kingdom.

In Curious Creatures, I believe the flying gurnard living in one of the former flamboyant cuttlefish exhibits is there temporarily. The species is still on the IPad sign at its former exhibit. I expect the balloonfish will remain in the other exhibit. They are planning the larger of the three new exhibits by having a taped outline on the floor and numbered rocks/etc in the outline as they plan the exhibit. I do not know who will live in these exhibits. The flashlight fish exhibit has been completely emptied. They were adding water in it today. It appears the coral exhibit may have been reorganized.

The barn at Wild Prairie’s yard is having its fence redone.

In Grizzly Ridge, the ring-necked pheasant exhibit now has a pair of quails living in there now.

12. TigerValley98

I have placed some photos in the zoo gallery related to the post above.

Akron Zoo | ZooChat

13. TigerValley98

Akron Zoological Park

The Akron Zoo is set to receive $500,000 for a new two-part exhibit that will replace some that are now 20 years old, said Linda Criss, vice president of communications.

The funding will help the zoo educate visitors, while fulfilling its mission to promote conservation and sustainable practices.

The zoo's new exhibits, "Pride of Africa" and "Wild Asia," will be designed to provide more complex habitats for the big cats and red pandas, and enable the addition of gazelles, gibbons and birds. Construction begins soon on "Pride of Africa." "Wild Asia" is scheduled for 2020,

"The main focus of the this big project is to help us achieve our mission of providing a place for people to connect to wildlife and learn, and also be encouraged and inspired to take conservation action," Criss said. "The exhibits will offer some exciting and interesting educational opportunities for our guests, who will be able to get close to the animals, but they'll also be able to learn more about [the animals] environment and the ecosystem they come from."

Both exhibits will be designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards. LEED is a rating system by the United States Green Building Council that rates the environmental performance of a structure and encourages sustainable design.

Ohio's capital budget earmarks $31 million for higher education, cultural organizations in Summit County

14. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting these. The zoo certainly has changed over the last 20 years - and going further back, almost nothing from when I volunteered there back in the late 80's remains. Of course, at that period, the zoo held almost exclusively North and South American animals (if not exclusively - I can't recall any species of non-American animal for a period there, although in the years shortly before the period in question, I do recall a few Old World species). I'm in the process of going through paperwork in the basement - if I come across any of the zoo maps from that period, I'll have to scan them for comparison...

15. TigerValley98

I know the zoo from the 1980s to pre-1995 was the zoo of the Americas. Bighorn sheep on the logo and in the now removed antiquated bear exhibit. I was at the zoo when I was young in the 1980s. There was a period of time I did not go there. I went back in June of 2000, when I became a member. Except for Tiger Valley and several species changes, it was a bit odd how the zoo had not changed too much. Then came the 21st century. I have witnessed the place transform over the past 18 years from an out of date relic to an almost completely 21st century zoo. The complete transformation will come in 2020. The only remaining structures that will remain from pre-2000 are the hospital (which has been added on to), the picnic area and barn in Wild Prairie, and maybe the Wild Prairie restrooms. I hope the Wild Prairie restrooms building can be saved since the zoo does not have a lot of historical buildings and that design on the front is so iconic. If they want to build new larger restrooms in the area, that would be okay. Just keep the building and renovate it for something else. I did not mention the Belcher Aviary between Tiger Valley and Wild Prairie because it has been closed for several years now and has been used for holding and breeding purposed. I think it will be removed for Wild Asia. It will be interesting to see have how the Wild Asia section will fit in the Tiger Valley section. The lion relocation does help. I wish the zoo had more monkey species like they did in the past. The only true monkey species the zoo has is golden lion tamarin. Everyone else are prosimians. At least gibbons will return in Wild Asia. It would be nice if a species of primate were to be added to Pride of Africa, but none has been mentioned yet. The final plans have not been announced. I do expect that the zoo will add several of the largest exhibits in zoo history in the next expansion/renovation. Pride of Africa will be 3.6 acres. Around a half of acre smaller than Grizzly Ridge. With the types of animals mentioned, I am expecting that there will be a large African plains exhibit for the gazelles and maybe some of the birds. I only wish I new what species of gazelle are coming.

16. TigerValley98

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. TigerValley98

As I have been anticipating, Akron Zoo President & CEO Doug Piekarz will address Summit County Council on Monday to update them on the zoo since the zoo gets county tax money. I am hoping that perhaps more news on Pride of Africa, Wild Asia, or any changes for this year will be discussed. This presentation usually happens in March so I have been watching for it to happen. I will watch the media for anything revealed and post it on ZooChat.

18. TigerValley98

Akron Zoo News From Today’s Visit:

Sika deer exhibit in Legends is undergoing a facelift. A lot of the smaller trees are gone. It is looking nice.

Curious Creatures renovations continue. There is a pool and rocky floor in the larger exhibit. Lots of rocks, sticks, etc are place beside it as they continue to design the larger exhibit. I am not sure what will go in that exhibit or what will go there the two smaller windows are located.

Continuing in Curious Creatures, the garden eel and shrimpfish exhibit has more new animals. A clear shrimp species and a pipefish has moved in. Sea apples and a red shrimp species have moved in previously. The flashlight fish exhibit is closed for maintenance.

Further work continues at the Wild Prairie barn. The fence has some new boards. The neighboring play area was removed last year. That area has been dug out. It appears pavers and a ready-made granary booth will be added. They are currently on the side waiting to be installed.

19. TigerValley98

There was also what appeared to be juvenile Midas cichlids in with the electric eels. Not sure if they are holding them there or if they are lunch. The zoo has been very successful with Midas cichlid breeding in the zoo’s rainforest exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. TigerValley98

Akron Zoo | ZooChat

I am in the process of adding photos of the construction work I mentioned earlier.