Join our zoo community

Alexandra Park Zoo - Bundaberg

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FriendOfTheZoo, 22 Sep 2013.

1. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

I found a news article on the Bundaberg City Council website about their new dingo pups (siblings to the two new dingo pups at Australia Zoo).

The article mentions their plans to have dingo experiences, build a reptile house, as well as a primate enclosure.

When I first moved to Bundaberg in 1991, they actually had a few small primates in sub-standard enclosures, as well as a rather large salt water crocodile. These were moved over time, and the zoo was let go, a bit, and they had just the standard Australian animals. It seems the councillors in the area now have big plans for the place, but it isn't exactly a big parcel of land. I guess they will have to get rid of the playground, or cactus gardens if they truly plan to add these new areas. Or buy out the Big4 caravan park next door. And let's hope it never floods again, as it's right on the river!

Dingo pups at home at Alexandra Park Zoo | Bundaberg Regional Council

2. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The article states that they have received 3 females as part of the breeding program.

So presumably they are going to have to find a male from somewhere. Any news on this?

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

not necessarily. I don't know what the situation is here (they may indeed have a male coming from somewhere), but being "part of the breeding programme" can also entail holding excess or retired animals. There doesn't need to be actual breeding.

5. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

Oooh! Finally Alexandra Park Zoo is getting monkey's back! It's about time!

They had monkeys of a few species & lots of other weird & wonderful animals back when I first moved to Bundaberg in early 1990's. Don't ask me what species they were though - I was looking at them as my 9 year old self. :)

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

and in fact that is exactly the case. I just came across this article which specifies that.
    Three new fluffy primates welcomed to Alexandra Park Zoo - Hitz 939

7. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

8. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Patrick Keegan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. WhistlingKite24

0.1 White-throated Snapping Turtle arrived from the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital which deserves a mention on this thread having already been discussed in Australia Zoo's news thread. Alexandra Park Zoo now hold three individuals of the species (I thought they only had the sole male but it turns out they currently have 2.1 now): Elsey makes Alexandra Park Zoo her retirement home – Bundaberg Now

Last edited: 27 May 2021
  10. WhistlingKite24

I had the pleasure of visiting Alexandra Park Zoo today for the first time. It’s probably one of the smallest zoos I’ve ever been to (though Walkabout Creek is probably slightly smaller) but it had some excellent exhibits, a pleasant parkland atmosphere and some quality species. Highlights included the White-throated Snapping Turtles, Freckled Monitors, a very active Tiger Quoll and one of the nicest enclosures for Cotton-top Tamarins I’ve seen.

Photos, full review and species list coming soon.

jay, steveroberts, Zorro and 3 others like this.
  11. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Mmm. I will in bundab7rg from wed for a week. Maybe I should pay this place a visit too.

Zorro likes this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

It’s a nice little place. Along the drive from Brisbane to Bundaberg, Snakes Downunder is right next to the Bruce Highway if you weren’t already planning a visit there and is about 40 minutes from Bundaberg. I’ve just posted reviews for both of these zoos if you were interested in further information about their collections.

Zorro likes this.
  13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Go Jay

14. WhistlingKite24

Solita, their 24-year-old Cottontop Tamarin - the oldest of her species in Australasia - has died. She was born at the Montreal Biodome, Canada in May 1998 and was exported to Perth Zoo in 2002. Contributing to the regional population, she had 24 offspring throughout her life, born in 12 litters of which nine survived. This leaves her daughter Turbo as the sole tamarin currently at the zoo: Sad farewell to oldest cotton-top tamarin, Solita

15. WhistlingKite24

Smaggledagle and Haliaeetus like this.
  16. WhistlingKite24

A new six-month-old male Tiger Quoll arrived at Alexandra Park Zoo in early March from Halls Gap Zoo. Their original quoll Crunchy recently died and this new quoll fills the exhibit next to the tamarins: Mac the quoll joins zoo family

Osedax and steveroberts like this.