Join our zoo community

Alma Park Zoo (Closed) Alma Park Zoo 19/1/13

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aratinga123, 8 Jul 2013.

1. Aratinga123

Aratinga123 Member

Hi
    Alma Park Zoo is situated in the Pine Rivers north of Brisbane in a old nursery that now looks like a rainforest now. A variety of animals live there but are quite crammed together in just 10 acres.
    The primates are very diverse. There are common marmosets, cotton top tamarins, emperor tamarins, pygmy marmosets( 2:0), geoffroy's spider monkeys(1:1), tufted capuchin(2:1), ring-tailed lemurs(0:4) and sacred baboon(1:2:2).
    There also a pair of red panda and a young five year old sun bear called Maly. Also two camels, blackbuck(1:2:2), tahr, a tapir, Alf living with three rhea, a pair of llama and fallow deer(0:8).
    In the wallaby walk thru there was red necked, swamp and a pair of juvenile emus. Also in a wallaby enclosure was a swamp, male red necked and an albino female with a normal coloured joey. In the walkthrough kangaroo enclosure were reds(2 males) and eastern greys. A large variety of both koala subspecies, Tasmanian devils with a female Lilith having three pure black young, four dingoes, a common ringtail possum, Pepper, eastern Quoll, spectacled flying fox with a pair of barn owls.
    There were the following bird species emus(1:1), cassowary(1:0), rhea, barn owl, white cockatoo(1:0) Charlie, peacocks, parrots of the world(red fronted kakariki, alexandrine, sun conure, blue fronted amazon, long bill corellas, princess).
    There was a small reptile house with carpet, Stimson's, olive, Burmese and boa constrictors, eastern blue tongue, shingleback, Boyd's forest dragon, barking gecko, Australian tarantulas, corn snakes, dainty and magnificent tree frogs. Also a green iguana Chub Chub, lace monitor and freshwater crocodile babies with a large Murray cod.
    Overall it is a good little zoos some downsides like that horrid baboon enclosure, ugly shed for the tapir and tiny reptile house but positives like the new sun bear enclosure (finally!!) and Tasmanian devil enclosure.
    Thanks
    Nicholas:)

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Jub Jub is the name Selma gives her iguana on The Simpsons but lots of (real-life) people think it is called Chub Chub. I have always wondered if the name is a reference to Dr. Doolittle (cf. Gub Gub the pig, Dab Dab the duck, Chee Chee the monkey).

3. Aratinga123

Aratinga123 Member

Jub Jub:) is the name of the iguana at Australia Zoo

4. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

where abouts was the tapir. When I visited in dec I couldn't find it

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

thanks chlidonius, that explains why i didn't see it, i didn't bother to go look at what i thought were water buffalo.