Join our zoo community

Alpine Zoo Innsbruck Alpenzoo news

Discussion in 'Austria' started by lintworm, 23 Nov 2018.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apparently this wonderful zoo didn't have its own zoochat thread, but there have been some nice developments recently:

- The zoo again keeps Wallcreepers, two birds are on display again in the aviary next to the Kingfishers

- The zoo is building an up to 14 meter high and 1000 square meter aviary for Egyptian vulture, Griffon vulture and Yellow-billed chough (and probably other animals...) east of the European elk enclosure. This means the old aviaries there have been demolished. I am not sure what happened with the Pine martens also kept there.

2. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any idea whether these individuals are wild sourced or from the private trade?

3. lintworm

No idea, their article on the website doesn't say anything about the source.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Wild-sourced, I suspect - a fair number of the species held there both past and present derived from rescue animals, and I am pretty sure this particular species is not kept in private aviculture presently.

5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The pine martens have a new enclosure just along from the kingfishers, or should I say two enclosures that are joined. An outstanding exhibit, and new enough it is not on the map. The new vulture aviary is progressing with some roof mesh in place. It looks massive.

Kifaru Bwana and Jobovc like this.
  6. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The zoo made quite a deal of the fact it was the only zoo to hold this species,

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  7. TeaLovingDave

And can one blame them? :)

MRJ likes this.
  8. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw the pine marten exhibit which was really nice but, having foolishly not examined this thread before my visit so did not know of the new aviary. I can't remember seeing it but I'm sure it is well developed by now - does anyone know if it has been finished?

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

They have a new male black redstart which will be seen in the aviary when the zoo reopens.

10. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

On May, lynx Elli gave birth to a cub. An ibex was born on May 27th and 3 red crested orchards were born at the start of June. Last but not least, the beavers had offspring 2 weeks ago.

HungarianBison likes this.
  11. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

( from Facebook )
    "Reopening of the vulture aviary
    Since 17.08.2020 the large vulture aviary at the Alpenzoo was closed to visitors. This was necessary, because the 1000m² large and almost 1 year young aviary was awaiting optimization and beautification work. The vultures moved in again today and the improvements for them, but also for the visitors, can now be experienced at close range again - since the passage through the aviary is open again from today."

Jungle Man likes this.
  12. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@vogelcommando Thank's for the info.
    I missed the opening of this aviary.
    From what I see, why such awful mock-rock in this nice zoo ?!

zoomaniac likes this.
  13. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Well, there are much worse artificial rock deserts in zoos than that, right? Or rust walls in the background and rusty animal figures in the enclosure ...

14. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

In June atleast 5 Little grebes (Tachybaptus ruficollis) hatched.

A European wildcat (Felis silvestris silvestris) was born at the beginning of June.

This year atleast 9 Northern bald ibises (Geronticus eremita) were born, the zoo now has 23 adults and 9 juveniles.

In August 2 male Northern lynxes (Lynx lynx lynx) were born, the zoo now has 5 lynxes (4,1).

On the 10th of September a Black stork (Ciconia nigra) went missing, one day later the animal returned at the zoo.

In September a female European lowland-bison (Bison bonasus bonasus) was born.

In October 8 Northern bald ibises (Geronticus eremita) were send to Spain to be released into the wild.

Sources:
    Instagram of Alpenzoo Innsbruck (20/06/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CQVhMxnJ0bd/
    Instagram of Alpenzoo Innsbruck (28/06/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CQp-hseJst-/
    Instagram of Alpenzoo Innsbruck (23/07/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CRqsWMrJLpB/
    Instagram of Alpenzoo Innsbruck (20/08/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CSynIJ9iYCL/
    Instagram of Alpenzoo Innsbruck (07/09/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CTgwK2-izIT/
    Instagram of Alpenzoo Innsbruck (10/09/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CTos0TvrNmt/
    Instagram of Alpenzoo Innsbruck (28/09/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXMmjBsTsd/
    Instagram of Alpenzoo Innsbruck (04/10/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CUmWXH6MSXF/

Swampy, Antoine and Haliaeetus like this.
  15. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any info of the critically endangered Bavarian pine voles and an apparent plan to breed them?

16. JurassicMax

Recently a female Common merganser (Mergus merganser merganser) arrived to accompany the already present male.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Innsbruck (12/202/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ4qOLWrQqs/

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. lintworm

I visited this excellent little zoo again last week. Compared to my visit 5 years ago there have been quite some changes in the animal collection. I have updated zootierliste completely based on my visit, except for fish and domestics it should be up-to-date again. Some notable additions from recent years, often the only ones on public display on the continent include: lesser spotted woodpecker, grey-headed woodpecker, Eurasian crested tit, short-toed treecreeper, wallcreeper and citril finch (in a larger group). The Bavarian pine voles are behind the scenes, but a relatively new mammal on show is the Etruscan shrew. Unfortunately the Eurasian wryneck, European kingfisher and quite some other smaller bird species like Eurasian wren, European robin and blue tit, are not kept anymore. I assume most of these species are rescue birds, so will only be around for a few years.... In the reptile department there are no more Montpellier snake or asp viper on display anymore, but smooth snake has been added.

The upper part of the zoo is also currently closed as red fox and European badger enclosures are under construction. The zoo will also add about 5000 square metres to it's small footprint (currently 4 hectares) in the near future, with plans for a new aviary, a new wolf enclosure and a tree-tops path.

This expansion is very welcome, as though enjoyable as this zoo is, many enclosures are really on the small side and in the case of many birds (passerines and owls in particular) and pine marten are easily just too small. I hope the future will include more (larger) walk-through aviaries showing different biomes and replace the tiny aviaries still on site.

It is nevertheless a wonderful experience to visit this zoo in spring, the focus on smaller birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish is refreshing and especially the ectotherms are very well-displayed, even though the aquarium is starting to show its age. Particular highlights were the wonderful courtship dances of the great crested newts and the fish in spawning mode which transforms even the most boring carp into a fish with many pretty white spots. Visiting the Alpenzoo is never a punishment, but visits during the breeding season in late April-May are probably extra rewarding.

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This species is kept behind the scenes and Innsbrück had this year the world-first-breeding with the species :).

19. JurassicMax

Since that time this species has bred a total of 3 times in the zoo!

Sources:
    Instagram of Zoo Innsbruck (21/08/2022)

Swampy likes this.
  20. TeaLovingDave

Per a visit last week, the collection once again keeps White-winged Snowfinch (Montifringilla nivalis)