Join our zoo community

Altina Wildlife Park Altina Hunting Dogs

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Monty, 16 Jul 2013.

1. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I see Altina has 6 wild dog cubs. As a private zoo they are showing what can be done with less resources than the big zoos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...34049508.36397.193182470717991&type=1&theater

2. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

..... further proof of the value of our private zoos in Australia.
    They may have limited resources in comparison with the big city zoos, but thank heavens they exist to keep the animals which may have less "box office" appeal or which are being only half-heartedly maintained by the big players.

With a basic antagonism towards private zoos by governments both state and federal, Australia is probably the most difficult country in the world to set up a private zoo, and I salute anyone who successfully does so.

3. Monty

They thought the pups were all male, but have now apparently found a female one.

4. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to their Facebook page, they found out yesterday that they actually have three male and three female pups.

5. Monty

6. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

The other day when I was reading an interview with Zoos Victoria CEO I had to laugh about the reference to maned wolves not fitting in with any of their collection planning objectives, ie, an endangered species, visitor appeal etc.
    Such a shame to see the big zoo players turning their back on this species, which I would argue is both threatened, (though I dont think that the CEO didnt know that) and an appealing animal when displayed properly. I always find it frustrating to see animals fall in and out of vogue in our Australian zoo collections, and thank our smaller zoos for stepping up their levels of participation and keeping some of these species viable in our country. Maned wolves and golden lion tamarins were the latin American poster creatures of Australian zoos in the 90s, it seems that coati and giant anteater will be their 2013-2023 equivalent.

7. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Altina has done a wonderful job with the maned wolves. Do you think that the pressure for zoos to justify themselves as conservation/education centers and the way that many anto zoo people hold the value of entertainment (the pleasure obtained from simply viewing animals) in scorn is what is behind the chopping and cganging?

8. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Are giant anteaters due to be imported?

9. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

I think what you say is very true jay.

Zoos these days feel pressured into justifying their existence as other than recreational facilities, despite that being a legitimate reason for their existence. Consequently, they want to be seen occupying their enclosures with animals that are rare and/or endangered in the wild. Animals that are not regarded as rare or endangered are therefore not valued by the big players unless they are large and popular (box-office appeal).
    A host of small and medium sized mammals and birds are therefore being no longer kept by the large mainstream zoos.

I'm an old guy - I've been keenly visiting zoos for decades now, and I can tell you that, while the enclosures are greatly improved, the animal representation (I'm avoiding the word "collection") was much better 50 years ago. I understand why - but I don't have to like it.

10. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have heard that they are now unlikely to come to Australia :(