Join our zoo community

Altina Wildlife Park Altina worth visiting?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 8 Dec 2009.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

We will be doing a road trip back to South Australia to visit family over Christmas ... I was planning on stopping at some of the smaller zoos, wildlife parks, etc along the way.

I was wondering what people thought of Altina - is it worth the effort?

I'm not too keen on a "guided tour" - that's not how we like to view animals, I'd much rather do things at my own pace and take photos and such.

From the photos that Monty uploaded and his description, I'm not sure I would get much out of it if we don't have any freedom to wander around?

Thoughts?

2. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wanted to walk about too. They would not allow it due to OH&S.

The cart does travel slowly and stop for a few minutes at each exibit, but there is no opportunity to get off for a better look.

The girl doing the tour did say they would like to give people the opportunity to walk and spend more time and they tell the boss that. When you ring them to book, which you have to do to go there, ask them about having more time and you may be able to arange it. The first time I tried to book they did not have another group booked and need enough people to harnes the horse, so were going to take the 4WD. If you did this they may stop and allow you to have more time.

They have also opened the Crocodile exibit since I was there, and the new female Mained Wolf may have arived.

Ring them and tell them your concerns and they may make better arangements.