Join our zoo community

Amazing Small Cat Enclosures

Discussion in 'United States' started by 9030, 3 Apr 2019.

1. 9030

9030 Active Member

Which zoos in the USA have the best small cat enclosures?

Arizona Docent likes this.
  2. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

San Diego Zoo has a great Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus) enclosure on Tiger Trail.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

NEW Zoo has an excellent Bobcat enclosure:

[​IMG]

Keep in mind the cat has access to the entire canopy.

4. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would Brookfields Black Footed Cat or Clouded Leopard enclosures fit on here

5. birdsandbats

I don't think so.

Grant likes this.
  6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Must be tough spotting the Bobcat if it doesn't want to be seen!

Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  7. birdsandbats

It is! I see it about 25% of the time.

Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  8. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Living Desert Zoo cougar exhibit deserves a mention. Not sure where it would rank though

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would not consider cougars to be small cats. I know some people classify them as such because they can't roar and those people define big cats as the ones that can roar (the five species in the genus Panthera). I personally find this an absurd definition. To me a big cat is one that is big and a small cat is one that is small!

Kakapo likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not quite accurate; the people who classify cougars as small cats mostly base it on phylogenetics rather than a mere roar/roarless dichotomy :p for similar reasons, the two species of Clouded Leopard are classified as big cats even though they a) cannot roar and b) are in Neofelis.

In any case, Panthera uncia cannot roar either and no one claims that isn't a big cat.

No more absurd than saying one member of a genus (Puma) is a big cat and the other is a small cat, as you seem to :p

11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to Wikipedia: Big cat - Wikipedia

"The term "big cat" is typically used to refer to any of the five living members of the genus Panthera, namely tiger, lion, jaguar, leopard, and snow leopard. Except the snow leopard, these species are able to roar. A more liberal and expansive definition of the term includes species outside of Panthera including the cougar, clouded leopard, Sunda clouded leopard and cheetah, although these added species also do not roar."

Others, such as this source list them as a small cat: Small Cats - The Wildcat Sanctuary

Personally, I'd regard Puma as a big cat (based on their size) along with tigers, lions, jaguars, leopards, snow leopards, cheetahs; and say members of the lynx and golden cat families are among the largest of the small cats.

TinoPup and Jambo like this.
  12. Arizona Docent

As a wild cat fanatic, my answer is there are not enough small cat exhibits to begin with and nowhere near enough good ones. That being said, here are some I remember off the top of my head that are nice.

bobcat: Northwest Trek, Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Living Desert State Park
    Canadian lynx: Northwest Trek
    caracal: Oregon Zoo, The Living Desert Zoo, Great Cats World Park
    Pallas' cat: Hogle Zoo (though they were temporarily indoors on my visit)
    fishing cat: San Diego Zoo, National Zoo (based on photos), Memphis Zoo
    ocelot: Memphis Zoo, North Carolina Zoo (based on photos), Santa Ana Zoo? (not sure on this)
    serval: Great Cats World Park, Out Of Africa, Memphis Zoo

9030 and Jambo like this.
  13. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, about the caracals in Oregon... they have lemurs in the exhibit now! Because... lemurs are TOTALLY a predator from the Serengeti! All sarcasm aside, their female, Peggy, did have a skin condition. Plus, apparently the exhibit wasn't large enough. Even though (based off of pictures) it did seem relatively large and downright innovative with the dwarf mongoose tunnel. Although *maybe* if they had different founders as well as an opportunity to bask in the Oregon sun on the roof of the building, restrained only by mesh, rather than being surrounded by walls and mock rock...

14. Arizona Docent

That is a shame about Oregon Zoo caracals, because it was the most aesthetically pleasing caracal exhibit I have seen. Maybe even the most pleasing of any small cat exhibit. However, the entire time I was there I did not see one single caracal (despite multiple tries throughout the day). Lemurs are a terrible replacement. I wonder if servals would work?

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And let's not forget that this exhibit is within a zone called Predators of the Serengeti. Last I checked, lemurs a) aren't predators and b) don't inhabit the African Serengeti.

StoppableSan and Arizona Docent like this.
  16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

17. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

True, plus if I recall correctly from my trip last August, one of the smaller exhibits in the area held a Brazilian porcupine (I presume the exhibit that use to hold the African rock python), so I guess that area had already strayed away from its name

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

...except Cheetahs and Cougars are nestled firmly within the subfamily Felinae, which makes them small cats regardless of their size. Panthera and Neofelis comprise Pantherinae, the big cats. I think the English names are simply due to the fact that most Felinae members are small and most Pantherinae members are large, even though some Felinae are larger than some Pantherinae. Roaring has nothing to do with it. It also makes no sense to classify Cougar as a big cat while simultaneously classifying Jaguarundi as a small cat.

And to add to the thread, while maybe not amazing, I've always liked Beardsley Zoo's Ocelot enclosure.

~Thylo

TeaLovingDave and TinoPup like this.
  19. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I dont see why not it's not just a barred cage the black footed cat the fishing cat and the clouded leopard have a naturalistic design I also forgot the caracal to has a smallest design

20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I personally refer to panthera as big cats, most everything else as small cats, and puma, cheetah, and clouded leopard as medium or mixed up cats :)

Omaha has great exhibits for their small cats, though good luck spotting the ocelot. I liked Oregon's bobcat exhibit. Wildlife Safari has ones that aren't exciting from a viewer's perspective, but are great for their puma and bobcat. I like Maryland's bobcat exhibit, as well.

StoppableSan likes this.