Join our zoo community

American Zoo Paradise - Columbus, Ohio?

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 4 Jul 2009.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sometimes I wish that I lived in Columbus, Ohio, as that zoo is what I regard as one of the 5 best in North America. Right now my wife and I take a 5-hour round-trip drive south from Canada to see the excellent Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, but I have once driven 7 hours round-trip to see the excellent Northwest Trek Wildlife Park. But as a bonus if one were to live in the city of Columbus...

Possible Long Day-Trips: (one-way average times)

Columbus Zoo - a few minutes away
    The Wilds - 1 hour, 24 minutes
    Cincinnati Zoo - 1 hour, 42 minutes
    Akron Zoo - 2 hours, 8 minutes
    Cleveland Zoo - 2 hours, 24 minutes
    Toledo Zoo - 2 hours, 27 minutes
    Indianapolis Zoo - 2 hours, 51 minutes
    Fort Wayne Children's Zoo - 2 hours, 58 minutes
    Pittsburgh Zoo - 3 hours, 9 minutes
    Louisville Zoo - 3 hours, 21 minutes
    Detroit Zoo - 3 hours, 28 minutes
    Binder Park Zoo - 4 hours, 21 minutes

On top of those 12 major zoos, the St. Louis Zoo is just over 6 hours away from Columbus, the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. is just over 6 hours away, and the city of Chicago (Brookfield Zoo, Lincoln Park Zoo, Shedd Aquarium) is around 6 hours away. Multi-day trips could be possible, with New York and Philadelphia less than 9 hours away. If I lived in Columbus I'd be visiting a different zoo each weekend, just like my fellow ZooChatters in jam-packed Europe!

**All driving times courtesy of mapquest.com

2. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I wish I felt the same; going to Columbus again today made me realize I really don't like that zoo.

3. snowleopard

@tigertiger: Why not? The co-authors of the book "America's Best Zoos" each rate it is a top 5 zoo, and I agree wholeheartedly. Once all of the African, Arctic and South American additions are completed in a few years it may well challenge San Diego and the Bronx as the best on the continent. However, I fully understand that rating zoos is a subjective choice, and thus there are some people out there that think Columbus is only average. Even if you don't enjoy that particular zoo, there are loads of others a short drive away!:)

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  4. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Snowleopard, an excellent reason for holding the USA zoochat get together in Ohio.

5. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

From pictures, I love the species and size of the exhibits but alot of them look fake (Asia Quest and Islands of Southeast Asia come to mind)

I would still love to visit and being to to far off from Ohio, a zoo road trip is one of our though out plans (Just a mini one of the Ohio zoos)

6. tigertiger

In the future, it may be up there--yes. The new Polar region looks promising. But right now..the zoo is subpar. It's Disney-fied (look at the their latest Youtube if you need grounds for that) and not a single exhibit stands out in my mind. The other day, I turned to my partner and realized that Columbus feels like mainly 4 exhibits: North America, Asia, Africa and the Manatee Coast area. No animal portion of any of those realms is standout at this point (though the mantee exhibit is probably the best outside Florida). While the zoo boasts plenty of species and none of the animals have TERRIBLE exhibits (unlike Bronx and SD), none of them have anything I'd give a second look to. The zoo has amazing species (and perhaps one of the best NA species collections in the country...), miles of spaces and multiple exhibits but even as a zoo enthusist who has been there multiple times in the past three months alone...I can't think of much special about the zoo other than an urban reptile house, koalas and multiple average bird aviaries.

On a visitors note, the zoo is also annoying in the respect that most of the map is for the water park and I have to stare at the map several moments to find where I would like to go (it's a terrible map). One also most step over most of the zoo twice in order to see the whole thing.

What is everyone's favorite exhibit at Columbus because I can't think of one myself...?

7. snowleopard

@tigertiger: My take on Columbus is not so far off from yours, but I obviously hold the zoo in higher regard overall. There is something to be said for not having any (or barely any) subpar enclosures, and I freely admit that the zoo might not have a single "knock your socks off" outstanding exhibit. Overall it is above average, and your local Cincinnati Zoo has at least a dozen enclosures that are in my opinion subpar. Then again the species list in Cincinnati is amazing and so it all depends what someone looks for in a zoo.

In Columbus the outdoor sun bear yard, Amur tiger exhibit, okapi enclosure, manatee pool and entire building, Australian section (including the roadhouse), elephant yard, komodo dragon exhibit, gray wolf enclosure and much of North America are all excellent and at times brilliant. The best habitat in the zoo is arguably the bonobo enclosure, and I find very little to complain about overall. I still think that it is one of the continent's 5 best zoos, and many others regard it in the same light, but each to their own opinion and I know a few ZooChatters who feel that the zoo is overrated.:)

8. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct! While neither Jon nor I put any of Columbus' exhibits into our "Top 25 Exhibits" lists, if we ever get around to expanding our list to a "Top 50 Exhibits" (or possibly more), I'm certain that Columbus will have at least 2 exhibits in the Top 50. In my opinion, any zoo that has both koalas and manatees has already taken a huge step towards being a "great" zoo.

In our book, we listed Columbus as among the Top Ten (in the USA) in the following categories:
    Asian Animals (#2), North American Animals, and Australian Animals. That's a pretty impressive geographical representation. We also think it's a top zoo for seeing: Bonobos (#1), Drills, Wolverines, and Komodo Dragons.

.... San Diego, the Bronx, and Omaha!

Actually, tigertiger, I wonder if there's a bit of a "rivalry" between the Cincinnati and Columbus zoos. Columbus was clearly in the shadow of the great Cincinnati Zoo for many years, but now that overshadowing seems to be swinging the other direction. Could it be that fans of these two zoos are a bit sensitive of this rivalry, and thus they find themselves with a slight (and perhaps irrational) negative opinion of the other zoo?

To illustrate, could it be like the college rivalry here in Indiana. My this state almost everyone is either a fan of the teams from Indiana University (IU) or Purdue. There are very, very few fans who like BOTH college's teams! Many cars here have bumper stickers that say, "My 2 Favorite Teams are Purdue and Whoever is Playing IU" (or vice versa).

9. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

I think Columbus already has Omaha beat as there are no big cats in tiny cat houses or bears living in grottoes.

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I found it very interesting (too coincidental to actually be a coincidence) that they BOTH opened a new manatee exhibit at the same time. Not counting Sea World San Diego, what are the odds that the only manatees outside of Florida would be located 100 miles apart in Ohio?

11. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

They are not the only manatees in the US outside of Florida. Dallas World Aquarium as a pair of Antillean Manatees as well.

12. ANyhuis

Even thought I'VE NEVER SEEN him, I'm sure that goalkeeper for the Real Madrid soccer team is no good. At least that's what I've heard from others, never mind that I've ONLY HEARD THIS from fans who don't like Madrid.

13. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

But a grotto is a grotto, and a cat cage is a cat cage. I don't need to see Omaha's Cat Complex in person because from photos one can clearly tell that the cat cages in it are awful.

14. ANyhuis

We're off topic (not about Columbus Zoo). I'll answer you off-line. Suffice to say that you are basing your negative opinion on the testimony of Omaha-haters and on still photographs.

15. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I just finished my trip across the country which included Omaha, KC, Lincoln Park, and Columbus zoos. I'm not sure if Columbus is a top 5 zoo or not because there's still many I need to go to, but it is very good, although I agree with those who say nothing is really great.

I would rank it second among the zoos I just mentioned, well behind Omaha which I absolutely loved for the most part, obviously not the cats, elephants, or bear sections. Although most of the cats outdoor exhibits are similar to many others throughout the country. The bears are also average in this regard. SD and SDWAP also go in front of Columbus for me.

But yeah, the North America and Asia sections are quite good, as is the bonobo exhibit. Can't say I liked the gorilla exhibit though.

16. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So do we get a review with pics?

I think it is very interesting to read a see a zoo through another persons eyes. In saying that l know others have posted rviews of these zoos would just like to hear yours as well.

17. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I posted short reviews in my thread, maybe I'll do more detailed ones if people want. I'll post pics sometime this week, maybe get started today if I get the chance, need to setup my computer first.

18. tigertiger

I don't know if it's a matter of rivalry as they are clearly two entirely different zoos. Some folk will like Columbus, some will like Cincinnati. Minus being in the same state, there are little ways that the zoos can even compare.

19. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

Actually, Columbus and Cincinnati have a lot of rivalry and a lot in common.

1) Both Top Three Gorilla Breeders (Cincy wins with 49, Columbus - 30)
    2) Manatee Exhibits (Columbus usually ranked as #1)
    3) Breeding Rivals (Mexican Wolves, Bonobos, Cheetahs)
    4) Both Zoos have exchanged literally hundreds of animals to each other
    Recently: Kylde (Rhino), Ro/Reh (Cheetah), Kimia (Bonobo), Ilya/Sasha (Pallas Cat), Ganesh (Asian Elephant),

20. tigertiger

Right but this is the reason they're both called 'zoos.' Most larger zoos have these types of things in common. For example, SD and Bronx have multiple SSP exchanges and are clearly always fighting to be number one US zoo on someone's list. I'm saying there's nothing really in particular that would causes a 'rivalry' between these zoos the way others have suggested. They don't have the same arrangement, size capacity, species list on display for the most part, or basic features. For example, Cincinnati is always a botanical garden (which most forget) while Columbus has a super famous director that basically anyone born in the last 30 years knows if they like zoos.

There aren't large comparative points. You can go "Well, they both have bonobos and manatees and are in Ohio" but that's almost where it stops.