Join our zoo community

America's 100 Must See Exhibits

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 23 Dec 2022.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I was waiting patiently for this entry, knowing it couldn't be left off :p as it's a great example of what "must-see" really means. Regardless of your opinion about Tropic World (and there's plenty to be had), it is an exhibit that really has to be experienced in-person; even as good as those photos are, I've never seen pictures that fully convey what it feels like inside. It's absolutely massive; walking along the edge feels like standing on the edge of a cliff overlooking a valley. The sheer height of the trees is striking, as is seeing many primates scrambling around on branches from a far distance. I haven't been to Brookfield in several years, and it's still easily one of the most memorable parts.

2. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

This one definitely makes a lot of sense. It was quite the spectacle in decades past when it was more like 12-15 primate species on display. It'll be interesting to see if the zoo eventually does anything to update the space following the outdoors expansion.

Once minor correction -- I don't think the exhibit was ever the world's largest zoo exhibit building unless volume was meant rather than floor space. The Minnesota Zoo's 1978 Tropics Trail is as large or marginally larger in area, and is also contiguous with the rest of the Main Building spaces. No doubt that Tropic World is much taller from exhibit floor to roof though.

3. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Well, good news, part of the plans do include new indoor Gorilla spaces and presumably updates for the Orangutans as well.

Joseph G and Neil chace like this.
  4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe that measurement does include volume, not just square footage. Of course, if we were to count Minnesota's entire interconnected indoor pavilion including the main entrance building, Tropics Trail and Discovery Bay, it would definitely be much larger.
    I haven't heard of any plans to alter the existing indoor orangutan exhibit, just adding on an outdoor enclosure. Regardless, the plans for the gorillas have potential to really be something impressive: two outdoor enclosures - one for the current family troop and one for a new bachelor troop - and new dayrooms. It's going to be significantly better from both a visitor and management perspective, as apparently the existing holding spaces are far from ideal. It's worth noting that a crucial part of the design of these upcoming outdoor areas is that the primates will go over the guest path to access the enclosures so that visitors will always be facing away from the building.

Beyond the soon to be resolved lack of outdoor exhibits, the biggest issue with Tropic World as it stands is that the building feels so incredibly void of life compared to how it was in its hay-day. Obviously the days of free-flight king vultures and mandrill-mangabey cross breeding are gone for the better, but it seriously feels like they've reduced the collection far more than necessary. Allen's swamp monkeys were recently removed, the slow loris exhibit is now empty, and they also removed all of the callitrichids in the South American room which was one of the most interesting areas in the building. Like others have stated, I'm hopeful this will be addressed alongside the extension. At the very least cotton-top tamarins are planned to be added back in the near future and at least one or two new species of monkey will take up residence in the current gorilla exhibit. As someone who's been through this building literally hundreds of times at this point, the feelings of shock and awe the exhibit evokes have warn off, but I am optimistic better days are ahead for this structure.

One other issue that isn't talked about much - there are almost no perching areas for the free-flight birds near the pathways, so they almost always prefer to stay in their holding areas which are mostly out of view of visitors.

5. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo may not have had much of a choice in this collection reduction, since it has been becoming more and more difficult for zoos to get all the animals they want. Especially with primates, there has been a big shift in species management towards less zoos keeping larger groups of each respective species. As such, there's a chance that Allen's Swamp Monkeys (and any others to recently leave the collection) didn't leave by the zoo's choosing, but rather by an SSP recommendation as management strategies change. I don't know the inner workings of Brookfield so can't say for certain if this is the case, but I wouldn't blame a zoo for losing a species right now without knowing the whole story- as we are in the midst of an SSP realignment that's made it more difficult for zoos to get certain species when they want them.

6. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I expected this to be on the list as well. I'm sure we're definitely gonna get other incredibly controversial yet absolutely unique exhibits that you can't find in zoos elsewhere like Elephant Odyssey and International Orangutan Center. Though for this one, this is a case of a grand idea gone outdated and aged not really that well.

7. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

I don't know how Elephant Odyssey could possibly make this list unless its failure makes it a must see exhibit.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Personally I don't think EO is that bad. Definitely would have liked to see more trees in the area, but too a lot of it is desert/scrubland theme. Exhibits vary from decent to quite good, and I wouldn't say any of them are horrible for the inhabitants. Don't think it quite makes the top cut, but I don't get why some people hate it as much as they do.

9. Emanuel Theodorus

It has a very unique theming based off the prehistoric California in a desert like exhibits. I love the overall theming adheres to that and I wish more zoos has more prehistoric theming as well. No other zoos has theming quite like representing columbian mammoth through Asian and African elephants.

10. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

While not on the scale of Elephant Odyssey, Omaha's zoo has a massive statue of a Columbian Mammoth (the state fossil) that was crafted by a sculptor from Hastings, NE as well as a sign showing the prehistoric pachyderms of Nebraska. These are located by the Garden of the Senses and the Koi lake.

Pleistohorse and StoppableSan like this.
  11. pachyderm pro

18. Condor Ridge
    San Diego Zoo Safari Park, CA
    Opened: 2000
    Size: 2 Acres (0.8 Hectares)
    Inhabitants: California Condor, Desert Bighorn Sheep, Bald Eagle, Desert Tortoise, and a variety of other birds from the Americas.

Few conservation success stories are as famous as the efforts to save the California condor and San Diego has played one of, if not the biggest role in breeding and releasing the species for more than 40 years. When this exhibit was unveiled, it was the only public exhibition of the species anywhere and is undoubtedly one the greatest bird of prey aviaries in the world. The enormous six story high condor aviary is a showstopper, blending in perfectly with the mountainous landscape. Large boulders and mature trees provide excellent perching opportunities while still leaving room for the birds to really fly. The other big highlight of the complex is the adjacent bighorn sheep enclosure which is similarly built on sloping terrain. These two exhibits compliment one another nicely and are enhanced by one of the most incredible views in a zoological park. The trail leading up to these two exhibits includes a variety of well planted aviaries for various medium-sized birds which originally housed exclusively Southwestern US species, but have since been broadened to include South and Central American species as well. The fascinating species combined with stunning natural beauty and strong conversation emphasis all add up to an extremely well done complex.

[​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @Julio C Castro
    [​IMG]
    @IndianRhino
    [​IMG]
    @Julio C Castro
    [​IMG]
    @Julio C Castro
    [​IMG]
    @Julio C Castro

Similar Exhibits: There isn't a complex exactly like this, although I would like to point out another impressive California condor aviary at Santa Barbara Zoo. This won't be the last time this species appears on the list.

[​IMG]
    @Coelacanth18
    [​IMG]
    @Coelacanth18

12. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

One of my favorite areas to visit during each Safari Park visit! Being able to see the California Condors flying around while understanding their near extinction they almost underwent further solidified my love for California Condors. I often talked to docents or keepers at the Safari Park about the program, mentioning how them along with the LA Zoo, were amongst the first to start the captive breeding program for the species.

Seeing them soar the skies once again is truly a testament how important good zoological parks are these days more than ever before. As for the other species exhibited along this trail, the Burrowing Owl/Desert Tortoise exhibit always has a soft spot in my heart. I remember seeing a pair of owls coming out of their burrows, one eventually hoping on the back a tortoise for a brief moment :p As a photographer, I appreciate the beautiful views of the Safari Park as well as the use of natural environments to enhance the exhibits.

I say this with full bias and appreciation for the Safari Park but this entry I wholly agree is a must see!

Edit: thank you once again for using my photos for your thread, I truly appreciate it! :)

BenFoxster, JVM, twilighter and 7 others like this.
  13. Joseph G

Joseph G Well-Known Member

Whenever that waterfall is on at the entrance, it takes me back to being a kid and just how magical this exhibit was in its heyday. Still is but in a little bit of a different way. I'll always appreciate this building for the incredible engineering and exhibit design feat it was at the time, but also cool to compare and see how far we've come and where we still can go in the future.

StoppableSan and SwampDonkey like this.
  14. Komodo Dragon

Komodo Dragon Well-Known Member

Very nice to see my photo used here! I actually visited again today and it's just as impressive as always. They manage to fit so many great exhibits in an area that feels both vast and compact at the same time. And the brown bears are more active than ever, being represented by two energetic and playful young females.

As for the Elephant Odyssey debate, I find the premise of the exhibit intriguing and original. However, it may've been best had they chose this theming to a smaller area that focused entirely on the natural history of California, keeping only species found in the state.

The message changes from "These assorted animals all had extinct relatives in this state" to the more poignant "Here's what lived alongside the megafauna of this land before the arrival of humans".

Lucas Lang likes this.
  15. Emanuel Theodorus

I wish I could see this exhibit in person. As far as Condor exhibits are concerned this looks one of, if not the best of them all.

16. pachyderm pro

19. Russia’s Grizzly Coast
    Minnesota Zoo, MN
    Opened: 2008
    Size: 3.5 Acres (1.4 Hectares)
    Inhabitants: Grizzly Bear, Amur Leopard, Wild Boar, Sea Otter, Common Carp

A big aspect of modern zoos is educating guests about regions of the world they will likely never get the chance to visit in their lifetime. Former Minnesota Zoo director Lee Ehmke has a distinct talent for creating unique zoo experiences and this is one of his finest accomplishments. This complex is an incredibly detailed recreation of the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia's Far East. This is the only exhibit in the world that focuses on the region and as a result contains a combination of charismatic species that are not seen together anywhere else. It starts at the Pacific coastline of Russia and Japan, featuring a spacious and highly detailed sea otter habitat. It continues into artificial steam geysers and acidic hot springs representing the Volcanic North, culminating in a lava tube primarily used to view a spacious meadow for grizzly bears. With no obvious barriers this habitat seemingly goes on forever and is genuinely beautiful, also including geysers that will shoot out water at predetermined times. The exhibit finishes in the forested south with a riverbank-styled wild boar enclosure and a trio of leopard habitats that provide great verticality and are among some of the nicest leopard habitats in the US. The entire complex is unparalleled in both its animal habitats and interpretive displays, adding up to one of the best examples of world building in any American zoo.

[​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @Ding Lingwei
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @Baldur
    [​IMG]
    @Milwaukee Man
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard

Similar Exhibits: None

Birdsage, PAT, BenFoxster and 31 others like this.
  17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What carp? Did they replace the Rainbow Trout?

18. pachyderm pro

Yes. They were added a few months back.

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  19. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With regard to Zoo Brno's "Beringia" section, this might not be completely true...;)
    Beringia

The silver carp would have been an interesting alternative.

Austin the Sengi likes this.
  20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Fascinating comparison, and pretty apt. The Zoo Tampa enclosure held Malayan tapir for many years before the gharial moved in.