Join our zoo community

America's 100 Must See Exhibits

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 23 Dec 2022.

1. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A great addition to the list! One of my favorite zoo exhibits anywhere, especially the educational signage, exhibit graphics, and excellent theming used through out.

Wild wolverine, Persephone and Kalaw like this.
  2. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

I’d been looking forward to this one. The rockwork and theming something feels like something more akin to a Disney park than a standard zoo. I was also impressed by the signage repeatedly mentioning the indigenous people, something that zoos often neglect when talking about complex environmental problems.

Birdsage and Wild wolverine like this.
  3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just to be 100% correct geographically: Amur leopards and wild boar don't live in Kamchatka tundra, but ca 2000 km further south in warm broad-leaved forests of Manchuria - the region which is represented in many zoo exhibits featuring Siberian tigers.

4. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

Does Minnesota have the best brown bear exhibit in the US? From pictures it looks fantastic.

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Perhaps. Woodland Park is a commonly-listed contender for that prize, as well. Shoutouts to Saint Louis and Wildwood Zoo as well, even if those exhibit aren't *quite* up for the best. Wildwood in particular is notable for being one of only two US holders of pure Kodiak Bear.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2023
  6. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which one is the second?

7. birdsandbats

Toledo.

twilighter likes this.
  8. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. By a mile.

Lucas Lang and Arizona Docent like this.
  9. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's definitely one of the most impressive and Russia's Grizzly Coast in general is one of my all time favorite exhibit complexes. When I visited in 2021 the bears were extremely active and utilized almost every part of the exhibit - wrestling in the pool, sleeping in a small den, scratching their back on the tree limbs and then resting atop the large boulder near the back of the yard. It was wonderful to see and other guests were very engaged. However, the absolutely greatest brown bear exhibit in the US has yet to be covered, but we'll get there eventually.

As an aside, I'd like to point out that not even a fifth of the way through this list, we've already surpassed the amount of replies to the entirety of 'America's 50 Must See Zoos'. I certainly did not see that coming. The amount of engagement so far has been fantastic and we've only just scratched the surface. Thank you to those who have contributed thus far. :)
    [​IMG]

10. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

What subspecies are the boars?

11. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

How is the situation for non-grizzly brown bears in US zoos?Ar there any more subspecies held besides Kodiak and grizzly?

Mathijs likes this.
  12. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

I think Bronx zoo has ABC island bears.

13. birdsandbats

Most of the Brown Bears around are generic. Eurasian, Grizzly, Alaskan Peninsula, ABC Island, and Kodiak are all around in some numbers. Lots of roadsides claim to have Syrian but I have no idea if any of those are legitimate.

Birdsage and Lucas Lang like this.
  14. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In AZA at least the majority of bears are unreleasable wild bears and the species isn’t bred, so they are of a certain subspecies (mostly grizzly). Outside the AZA it is sure to be a mix of pure and generic bears though. One example I know of is Six Flags Great Adventure having European brown bear, yet those stem from an import when the park first opened in the 70’s.

15. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

20. Giants of the Savanna
    Dallas Zoo, TX
    Opened: 2010
    Size: 11 Acres (4.5 Hectares)
    Inhabitants: African Elephant, Reticulated Giraffe, Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, Greater Kudu, African Lion, African Painted Dog, Warthog, Red River Hog, Ostrich, Vulturine Guineafowl

While Europe has the iconic mixed species savanna at Borås Djurpark, the US boasts an equally impressive mixed savanna exhibit. This is one of the most famous mixed species enclosures anywhere in the world and also one of the most difficult to execute. Combining elephants with other species is not as common in America as it is in Europe and at the time of this exhibit's conception it was basically unheard of. Even now you can count the number of mixed species elephant exhibits in the US on one hand, yet none are as carefully crafted as this series of savanna habitats. It is still the only exhibit in North America to have elephants share the same space as giraffes. For visitors it's a beautiful scene and for the elephants and giraffes it’s a titanic upgrade from their rather egregious former accommodations. With four interconnected enclosures divided via natural barriers, there are plenty of separation options when necessary so that every species can be on exhibit at all times. The attention to detail is superb with highly detailed simulated riverbanks and well maintained vegetation coming together to create an aesthetically perfect habitat. Satellite enclosures for other African megafauna including lions, painted dogs and suids are also of extremely well done and the lions can even be viewed from an adjacent restaurant.

[​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @Zooplantman
    [​IMG]
    @geomorph
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard

Similar Exhibits: Birmingham Zoo holds a bachelor herd of African elephants in an exhibit that is visually somewhat similar to Dallas, also managing to mix their elephants with other species. They took it to a way more extreme level by allowing elephants to share the same space as rhinos and hippos, although these mixes have either been discontinued or happen infrequently. Zoo Tampa mixes elephants with impala and Nile lechwe in a large paddock that is nicely done, but unfortunately plagued with unattractive sightlines. Sedgwick County Zoo also deserves mention for their excellent African elephant enclosures built at a surprisingly inexpensive cost compared to other modern elephant complexes.

Birmingham Zoo

[​IMG]
    @fkalltheway
    [​IMG]
    @fkalltheway

Zoo Tampa

[​IMG]

@Moebelle
    [​IMG]
    @Moebelle

Sedgwick County Zoo

[​IMG]
    @geomorph
    [​IMG]
    @geomorph

16. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

I’m surprised that you didn’t include Wilds of Africa along with Giants of the Savanna. I though Giants of the Savnna was an extension of the previous exhibit.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Just curious, but from the photos you have used to illustrate this exhibit do you genuinely think it looks "aesthetically perfect"? Everything looks obviously fake to me, especially where (for example) they have stuck prominent gates right into their "riverbanks". In particular the two photos with giraffes look plain ugly rather than natural or "perfect".

Lucas Lang, Batto and Fallax like this.
  18. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Given that a good chunk of it is closed to the public (for COVID reasons (even though it was open air and JUST RECENTLY RENOVATED, COVID couldn't have been the reason for the monorail's closure, I'm not gonna speculate further ok tangent over)) and also given that the most revolutionary aspect of this exhibit *is* the elephant/hoofstock mix, it makes sense. I'm actually surprised this hasn't been tried elsewhere within the US - North Carolina, San Diego/Escondido, DISNEY, Nashville, etc. Dallas took the initiative, planned things out carefully, took out elements/species that didn't work out and maintained the ones that did, and this was the result. Absolutely phenomenal show!

Neil chace likes this.
  19. Antimony96

Antimony96 Well-Known Member

Funny coincidence to hit Dallas just as it makes national news for a clouded leopard escape.

20. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Dallas is by no means "revolutionary" in its mixed exhibit with elephants. KC, Busch Gardens and Lowry Park have had mixes way before Dallas. I believe Birmingham had as well. And of course can't bring this up without Boras in Sweden who's been doing it since the 60s