Join our zoo community

America's 100 Must See Exhibits

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 23 Dec 2022.

1. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

I haven’t been since the reopening. Very excited by the zip line feeding if anyone knows about what times that happens. I did get a chance to see Lincoln Park’s lions from across a pane of glass, though, as one hid under the viewing window’s rockwork to get out of the rain.

A recent visit to St. Louis reminded me of an answer to the bonus question. I’m not sure St. Louis’s Children's Zoo qualified as the best of its kind, but certainly worth an honorable mention. A few interesting Australia-Oceania species (Tasmanian Devils?), a good play centered area indoors with Guinea pigs. A very fun otter exhibit that I think had a slide through it, although I may be confusing it with Akron. Then the usual goats and whatnot. Sadly lost during the pandemic.

2. CMTM

CMTM Well-Known Member

I used to be an intern in this exhibit! It really is an incredible display run by an equally exceptional team of bird-nerds. I was told to talk to the bird while working in the aviary (mostly guano scrubbing and the mid morning murre feed) so I made up a little song to the tune of "Girls" by the Beastie Boys. "Cause in the morning its BIRDS", "I like the way that they WALK", "I like the way that they SQUAK". My brief internship with the bird department was a wonderful experience that I will never forget!

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Lincoln Park Zoo (Illinois) has done a great job with the preservation of their historic Lion House. While not featuring any captive animals, it's fun to see what became of a couple of other notable Big Cat Houses at major American zoos.

Little Rock Zoo (Arkansas) turned their 1930s-era Feline House into the Cafe Africa restaurant, with an outdoor barred patio:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toledo Zoo (Ohio) also turned its 1930s-era Feline House into a restaurant, complete with "cages" for visitors to sit and eat their burgers. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@pachyderm pro is the lion house still super echoey, or has that issue been resolved? I haven't been since the renovation, but during my visits a long time ago the main thing I remember is how incredibly loud the inside of the building was.

Mathijs likes this.
  5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The noise level is much more tolerable now compared to how it was before the renovation. The zoo added a layer of carpet over the original hard floor which has greatly reduced the overall echo considerably. It was really bad before, especially for the cats who had to endure it on a daily basis, and I’m glad they were able to fix the issue.

6. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Happy to see the Lincoln Park exhibit be acknowledged here, while I hope more come in the future, I absolutely see why this exhibit was chosen, I've managed to see the lions, but it was before the exhibit opened, while when I went when the exhibit opened, I couldn't find them

JVM likes this.
  7. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was incredibly skeptical of Pepper Family Wildlife Center going from photographs -- they really do not do justice to how it feels in person. The windows always look smaller to me in the photographs, but in person they are massive. I don't feel I've ever been surrounded by so many visitors with such strong engagement in the same animals as my visit last month as we all watched little Philippi play with his family. It's not that I've never been in a big crowd at a zoo, but so many people were absolutely in love with the lions without there being pushing for space to view a grotto from far away, and were watching every behavior not simply glancing to acknowledge the animals' presence. It was the highlight of the visit and made me remember what makes lions such fantastic animals.

While a part of me does leave slightly wanting for something more on the southern wall, perhaps some kind of learning experience in the absence of other exhibits, the indoor structure makes a fantastic viewing area and has plenty of space. There is much less echo with the new carpeting as mentioned, and the overall architecture and feel of the building is the same in the best way possible. They also removed the gift shop inside, which I'd always had mixed feelings on.

I still cannot believe they redeemed the old Lion House so well without losing sense of the building!

My initial assumption was that smaller non-cats would replace the southern residents and the name would be reflecting that, but we still have three cats and red pandas, which are held in cat buildings at other zoos without such name concerns. It only becomes more mystifying considering the old lion house was essentially a generalized big cat building whereas now as a dedicated lion building, it's not a lion house!

SilentWindODoom and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many European zoogoers perhaps know the Vienna zoo, where an old big cat exhibit was very much renovated. In one place, visitors find themselves inside a former cat cage, looking outside at the modern big cat paddock surrounding it.

SilentWindODoom likes this.
  9. JVM

It seems like a lot of users are discussing cat exhibits converted into restaurants -- have any additional historic cat exhibits been converted into holding different animals? I believe I'd heard Night Hunters at Cincinnati used to be a lion house?

It seems relatively less known that Brookfield Zoo's Fragile Desert and Fragile Rainforest were decades earlier indoor big cat cages, converted to hold smaller felines in the eighties (Pallas' Cat, Sand Cat, Margay and Lynx alongside Fishing Cat) before becoming their current versions.

10. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Another lesser known historic big cat house is San Francisco's, which still does house big cats - though the indoor viewing section is still closed due to managing Covid exposure, presumably it will reopen at some point.
    It's a very interesting insight, although both the house and the main exhibits are certainly a bit dated.

[​IMG]
    Credit to @TheoV

Fishing cat exhibit next to the indoor viewing for the cats by @Arizona Docent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Credit to @snowleopard

11. Joseph G

Joseph G Well-Known Member

Indoor holding or indoor exhibits?! I would love to see anything anyone may have of this!

12. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indoor exhibits. This is all I’ve been able to find.

13. JVM

The only video I have is the same one that MeiLover posted right above. The outdoor area was much the same as today, except Jaguar were held instead of sloth bear. The predator ecology exhibits were dismantled to become the Fragile Kingdom because some of the enrichment did not hold up to the cats' activity, according to Let the Lions Roar: The Evolution of Brookfield Zoo. There is additional information in this zoochat thread, This Tribune article also contains a detailed description of the exhibit, though quite a ways down.

Joseph G and Neil chace like this.
  14. pachyderm pro

25. Desert Lives
    Phoenix Zoo, AZ
    Opened: 2000
    Size: 10 Acres (4 Hectares)
    Inhabitants: Arabian Oryx, Desert Bighorn Sheep

Conservation is the core purpose of modern zoos, but few other institutions are as famous for bringing a species back from the brink of extinction as Phoenix with the Arabian oryx. There's a reason the ancestry of most wild Arabian oryx can be traced back to Arizona and what's been accomplished here is indeed remarkable. In the 60s, the zoo took on the entire remaining population of both wild and captive individuals in a last ditch effort to breed and return the species to their native range. The arid desert climate of Phoenix proved to be the perfect place for the species to thrive in captivity with close to 250 calves born, a majority of which have been reintroduced to the wild. The oryx paddock is picturesque and perfectly integrated with the desert landscape. Blending in even better are the adjacent multi-acre bighorn sheep enclosures, as the zoo essentially just fenced in a pair of enormous buttes which works brilliantly. This one-two punch of world class desert habitats is spectacular, complete with a tremendous conservation success story as the cherry on top.

[​IMG]
    @Ituri
    [​IMG]
    @Ituri
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @snowleopard
    [​IMG]
    @Arizona Docent

Similar Exhibits: There are other well done desert trails in the Southwestern US, but I'd like to take this time to highlight a few other outstanding caprid enclosures particularly on the west coast. The habitats at San Diego Zoo Safari Park and The Living Desert are among some of the greatest, utilizing existing hillside terrain.

San Diego Zoo Safari Park

[​IMG]
    @ThylacineAlive

The Living Desert

[​IMG]
    @Coelacanth18
    [​IMG]
    @ThylacineAlive

CMP, Kudu21, Mathijs and 32 others like this.
  15. Antimony96

Antimony96 Well-Known Member

State leaderboard with 1/4 of the way through:

California, New York, Texas: 3
    Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio: 2
    Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin: 1

16. Pleistocene891

Pleistocene891 Well-Known Member

I bet California will have the most by the end.

17. Antimony96

Antimony96 Well-Known Member

I think pachyderm outright said it would?

18. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, I found the quote:

ifesbob, Mathijs and Pleistocene891 like this.
  19. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Memphis Zoo converted their old Cat (Carnivore) House into a cafe, though it is not a modernized exhibit area like you state. (If I remember, there may have been one refurbished exhibit next to the dining area?).
    [​IMG]
    @geomorph

20. pachyderm pro

26. Stork Aviary
    Racine Zoo, WI
    Opened: 2011
    Size: 9,300 Square Feet (860 Square Meters)
    Inhabitants: Lesser Adjutant Stork, Western Tufted Deer

This impressive wetlands aviary contains a combination of species that cannot be seen at any other institution. The lesser adjutant stork is unusual bird scarce in zoos worldwide and it's even more rare to find them in an exhibit that features them as their own attraction. In the US at least, it's also uncommon to find an aviary that highlights ungulates, in this case a pair of western tufted deer. The aviary is beautifully landscaped with mature trees, lush furnishings and a running creek, a far cry from its former iteration as a rocky pool for rescued pelicans. It can be viewed from all four sides, but carefully placed vegetation and privacy barriers prevent cross views from being an issue. The best view is seen from the walk-in observation deck which provides a completely unobstructed look of the exhibit and allows guests to share the same space as the residents. The combination of two fascinating species in a beautiful setting makes this display absolutely top-notch and a true hidden gem.

[​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro
    [​IMG]
    @pachyderm pro

Similar Exhibits: Bronx Zoo is the only other North American holder of lesser adjutant storks and their aviary is similarly stately. Of course, without the ability for guests to enter the exhibit or the inclusion of other species, the Racine aviary is superior.

[​IMG]
    @fkalltheway

Birdsage, ifesbob, Kudu21 and 25 others like this.